#1 - A Study Session Gone Awry

published: Monday, 25 June 2018

"Argh!"

Annabeth's shouts of frustration echoed from wall to wall of her small dormitory. She ran a hand through her tangled hair, sighing exasperatedly at the stack of sheets on her desk.

Finals for her first year at Harvard University were looming round the bend, and passing them were absolutely essential if she wanted to complete her undergraduate degree in Architecture.

"Focus, c'mon," she chided herself, forcing her eyes to stare at the sheet. The words were unreadable to her - her dyslexia always escalated in times of stress. Annabeth glanced up at the pin board on her wall, a gift from her friend Piper when she'd first started studying here.

Every time Annabeth's demigod friends stopped by her university dorm room for a monster-fighting break, or just to pop in and say 'hey', it was tradition to leave an encouraging note on the pin board.

While Hazel left inspirational messages like "Everyday is a second chance" - quotes Annabeth suspected she'd been stealing from Tumblr ever since Frank introduced her to it - Annabeth's less mature friends, aka Leo, were more inclined to leave notes reading "To succeed in life, you need three things; a wishbone, a back bone, and a funny bone" which, most of the time, made no sense whatsoever.

Normally, Annabeth could calm herself down for a night of studying just by re-reading the messages. They never failed to put a smile on her face, yet, today, she was more irritated than usual.

No one was present to watch her usually calm composure fall. Her roommate Hallie was in a lecture, and none of her friends were visiting.

Annabeth groaned inwardly. "What's wrong with you today?" She half-heartedly reached for the light blue highlighter in her pencil box. "You aren't the daughter of wisdom for nothing."

Her self-deprecation session was interrupted by the rippling image in front of her. Within seconds, Jason Grace's familiar face had come into view.

Annabeth took in his features like a breath of fresh air. She missed her friends so much it physically hurt, and she nearly choked up when she spotted Jason's signature lip scar.

"Hey, Annie," he greeted with a lopsided grin.

"Jason!" Annabeth breathed. She didn't even bother to correct him. "How are you guys?"

Jason shrugged. "We could be better."

Annabeth squinted, suddenly noticing the dark background of the Iris Message. "Where on earth are you?"

Jason scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. "It's kind of a long story. Tell you later, but we kind of need help."

"What did Leo do now?" Annabeth asked accusingly. "Did he burn down the Artemis cabin again?"

"Why does everyone always assume it's me?" Leo's voice sounded whiny and high-pitched; just as Annabeth remembered him. He leaned into the mirage, waving to Annabeth.

"And was it you this time?" Annabeth looked at him imploringly.

Leo went bright red. "That's not the point."

Annabeth sighed. "Tell me where you are."

"Thank you, thank you," Jason said gratefully. "The New York Public Library. Go down to the basement and find the secret door."

"The library?" Annabeth asked. The incredulity in her eyes was almost comical. "What in Hades' name are you doing there?"

"Don't has his name in vain," came Hazel's faint voice, as if she was farther away from the Iris Message.