Chapter 23: Suspicions.

A frown formed creases at the blonde's brows, her lower lip uncomfortable between her teeth, the pressure on it so high that it could potentially draw blood. Hazel eyes flickered over the screen once again, the small blue ticks and the bold words that screamed 'read but ignored', creating a great sense of disappointment in her chest.

The door creaked open ever so slightly, causing Jia's gaze to slide upwards toward the stoic and cold face of her mother. The older woman's face was old and defined, cheek bones sharp and hair brown but greying from the root. A Bluetooth earpiece, was nestled between her long and straight locks and for a brief second, her features soften as she watched her crestfallen daughter.

"Mother, you're home early" Jia smiled, trying to mask the disappointment that soaked her skin. Her mother stepped into the room, taking a seat on the plush silken sheets that donned her daughter's bed. "I-i wasn't expecting you today"

"I got off early, I wanted to see you and spend the night with you, I've been working late nights recently" Mrs Cha offered, tucking a strand of golden hair behind Jia's ear.

The girl nodded, leaning into her mother's touch, the feeling almost long forgotten. They sit in silence for a short while, the air around them heavy. Jia never really got along with her mother, she didn't have much of a choice either, considering she'd never met her father. The vibration of her phone in her hand caused the blonde to perk up ever so slightly, gaze dashing down to her lock screen as she hoped and prayed for it to be a text. From Jimin.

Mrs Cha observed her daughter's behaviour curiously, watching as her excitement faded away into a bitter frown at the email, not a text. "What's wrong honey? Is it not about the pair of shoes I ordered you?" The girl shook her head, pushing back tangled golden locks, and throwing her phone to the end of her bed. "Then whats the matter Jia?"

Her lip started to wobble before she could control it, but she stood her ground, not allowing any fresh tears to fall. "It's just some boy" she started with shaky breaths, ready for her mother's reprimanding. "He didn't text me back and I thought he was showing interest in me. I don't really understand"

The older Cha woman, shuffled, kicking off her heels so that she could rest her legs folded beneath her, on her daughter's bed. Tucking a bleach blonde lock behind Jia's ear, the older woman smiled faintly.

"When a boy doesn't text back, my dear, it usually means one of two things. Either, he found and is interested in someone else or something drastic happened." Mrs Cha explains, getting straight to the point. She takes note of the way her daughter's face scrunches up and fist clenches before standing abruptly and patting down her expensive and probably designer skirt. "Need I not remind you of the boy drama that occurred at your last school, Cha Jia" the older woman voiced bitterly, catching her child in a stern gaze. "I don't want to have to send you away again"

And with that, the older Cha exits the room, resuming another call with another customer, leaving Jia behind and alone with her thoughts once again.

***

Like a wave crashing on it's  beach's shore, anger ripples in the form of goosebumps across Jia's exposed skin. The day is hot, everyone on the school campus is dressed for the occasion of the blistering heat and she'll admit, she liked the attention her outfit attracted. A short skirt and a t-shirt tied just above her hips to expose some of her skin.

She felt delectable and she wanted to, for him.

The blonde couldn't deny that her outfit was made for Park Jimin, to show him what he's missing but the excitement of her plan withered away into nothing when she caught sight of you with Jimin. Again. That's where her anger brewed from.