17 - A Classic Art Room Confrontation

Start from the beginning

"But still..." She whines. 

Rolling my eyes, she steps back, allowing Athena and Ares to greet me. 

We start conversing about simple things like what we think of a new song. I forgot how much I missed talking about such things with people my age. As amazing as Casey is, she is an adult. She has friends her own age to talk to about certain things whilst I don't.

"Right kiddo, I'm going to go and sit outside. I'll see you at lunch?" Alan asks me and I nod my head. Last night, after my run, Alan and I discussed him being my bodyguard. Now that I have three of my friends back, I don't really need someone to look after me. Plus, Alan feels reassured I can handle myself since I totally put Lily in her place. So Alan is going to hang outside of the school to stop reporters and keep guard. He will be seeing me at lunchtime because its when the student population peaks in one place.

Waving a goodbye to Alan, I watch him skim his way through the crowded hallways. He slips in and out of open spaces with great ease, like a stealthy panther.

"Your bodyguard looks so intimidating." Athena states.

"He really isn't," I tell her. "He's actually a massive softie. He just appears like that to everyone else to keep them away. Once you get to know him, you'll see that he's not scary in the slightest."

Athena raises her eyebrows in disbelief. "Are you su― "

Athena is cut off by a gawking Ares. "Holy shit," he mumbles to himself, loud enough for me and the other two to hear. I follow Ares's line of sight to Callum who is heading our way, with Brock next to him. Both of their eyes are set on this group or rather, they are locked on me.

Gulping, I mask my stunned face and slam my locker door shut. I have been expecting this to happen and now that it finally is, I'm nervous. Petrified. My hands feel clammy and my brain is thinking a million and one thoughts. I can't focus on one specific thought but instead so many about what I'm going to say to them.

I know before they reach me what they are going to say. The whole ordeal is playing out in my head already. The end of this conversation is going to be me and them talking. Gosh, I hate the fact that I'm talking all of the time. All I do is talk about what happened and how I feel.

In all honesty, I am so sick of it. I want to distract myself and have fun. Not dwell on my horrible past.

The two muscular boys stop directly in front of me, enclosing the circle. All six of us remain in silence, staring. Hannah frowns in confusion, clueless about everything. I feel a pang of guilt. I should have told Hannah about who I am to them but I don't want to risk losing a friendship. Now I just might for lying to her.

I'm the first person to speak. "Where do you want to talk?"

Brock and Callum's mouths open, confused. They probably assumed I would put up a fight but right now I'm so tired of fighting. For some reason, I want to give them a chance. Well, Brock. Callum has already explained.

Perhaps after seeing my parents aging woke something up in me. I realized how short life is. Two years ago, they looked so healthy and young. But life catches up with everyone.

I shouldn't be stubborn about such important matters. Knowing me, I will regret it in the future. I need to be the bigger, better person here and listen. They were both very close to me and so, a part of me owes it to them to talk to them.

And then, after I've done this, I don't have to have these talks again. They are mentally and physically draining.

"Oh―um." Brock stammers, clumsily.