Chapter 124: Secrets Can't Be Kept

Start from the beginning

As Connor took the grocery bags into the kitchen Tasha took her coat off. She was trying to keep her heart rate down to reduce the likelihood that Connor would question her about why she was stressed.

Tasha went to grab a glass of orange juice from the fridge, but Connor wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her backside against him.

"I missed you." Connor said against her ear, kissing her cheek affectionately.

Tasha smiled slightly, trying to relax in his arms. "I missed you too, Con."

"Are you sure everything is alright? You seem tense." Connor brought his hands to her shoulder, massaging them causing her to groan. "Very tense."

"When am I not stressed?" She laughed, "I guess it was just stressful at the store. There were so many kids today."

"Luckily neither of us have to deal with children here."

Tasha felt her stomach churn at his words. She was silent for a moment as she tried not to feel hurt by his comment. "Y-yeah, lucky."

•••

The next day at lunch, Hank and I were taking a break together and somehow I got the idea to ask Hank.

"Do you... do you think Connor would be good with kids?"

Hank spit out his coffee, a look of shock and terror on his face. "Excuse me?!"

"You're acting like I'm asking if he's Jesus or something." I shook my head, "Do you think that hypothetically if I had a kid Connor would be a good dad?"

"Connor. The same Connor who licks blood samples at crime scenes. That Connor."

"No, the one from the Eden Club — OF COURSE THAT CONNOR!"

Hank gave me a sideways glance, "Wait — you... you're not — "

"Waaaaaa?!" I let out a loud noise, shaking my head profusely. "God Hank! No! I'm just asking hypothetically! Pssssh, we can't even have kids so like please can you just answer the question?"

I'm a terrible fucking liar.

Hank continued to eye me with suspicion, but eventually turned back to his coffee. "Connor is... slowly becoming more human. Hypothetically? Yes, I think he could be a good father. I don't see why not."

"Thank god." I let out a sigh of relief, feeling my cheeks get hot as I realized Hank had heard me.

"I'll never get used to that." Hank pinched my cheek that was clearly a purple shade, causing me to grimace.

"Gah, let me go, old man." I wrinkled my nose as I rubbed my cheek that now stung from the pinch.

When we got back to the station, I noticed Connor standing by my desk, seemingly waiting for me.

"Con, what's up?"

He had a perplexed expression on his face, but smiled when he saw me. "You were gone 2.6 minutes longer than usual."

"That's not stalkerish at all." Hank snickered as he sat at his desk.

"I was merely wanting to make sure you were alright." Connor said, trying to ignore Hank's comment.

"Oh, Well—" As I was about to come up with a witty reply I felt a sharp pain go through my stomach. "Um, hold that thought."

I pushed past Connor and ran into the ladies rest room, falling to the toilet and throwing up all the food I had just eaten.