One.

Houston, Texas

   Walking off of the elevator, Nicki made her way into Room 310, where her mother was located. She closed the door behind her and walked further in.

"Hi, Mommy," she smiled.

"Onika," Carol smiled.

Nicki put the bouquet of flowers on the table next to her and smiled. She then pulled a chair up and sat down. "How are you feeling?"

"Better than yesterday. How about you, baby?"

"I'm doing okay. I'm glad you're feeling better."

She gave her a dimpled smile and gently grabbed her hand. Carol had Stage 3 Cancer, which was threatening her life, but she made the best of everything.

"Thank you, baby. Those flowers are pretty."

"I got them from your favorite flower shop," Nicki giggled.

Carol smiled, sitting up some.

"How's everything at home?" She asked.

"It's fine. Caiah is doing good in school. I'm juggling with my job, school, and an eight year old, but I'm able to handle it. We're doing fine."

Carol sighed, rubbing Nicki's hand.

"I'm sorry to put that all on you, but I have faith in you, Nika. You can do this and whatever you put your mind to. That modeling dream you have, you can do it," Carol told her.

Nicki smiled. "I know, Mommy. Are you hungry?"

"Oh no, baby. I already ate."

"Oh," Nicki giggled.

She moved her hair over her shoulder and reached into her bag, pulling out a small notebook.

"Another story for me?" Carol smiled.

"Of course, Mommy. I just want to warn you.. the beginning is sad," Nicki told her.

Carol laughed a little. "I can handle it. Go on. Read the story."

Nicki nodded, opening the notebook. She cleared her throat before reading.

"The rain smacked against the window. The somber day was never ending, and neither was the pain. I listened to the taps of the water seeping through the cracks of the cold shed as he stripped me of my clothing. His icy fingers grazed my skin as he chuckled and whispered to me that I was beautiful. Tears escaped my eyes. The pain started. He penetrated my body, his cold hands gripping wherever they could. I could not cry out. I could not moan. Laying there in agonizing pain, I relived the event in my head, remembering his touch and how his warm sperm filled me without consent. I laid there for hours, waiting on the storm to pass by."

Nicki looked up at Carol. "That was part one."

"Very deep, Nika."

She nodded and flipped the page.

"On this new day, I walked through the park. I had a son now, who took every last one of his father's features. I couldn't care. As long as I raised my son to be the opposite of his father. The grass nudged at my ankles. We walked upon a swing set. There, I pushed my son.. Enjoying his laughter. A man walked up and my body got tense. I still wasn't used to men. Or the pain that they caused. He told me that I was beautiful, but that's what they all say. Looking up, our eyes instantly locked and I felt a spark. He was the man I had seen many times before in my dreams. The man who I had grown to love. The man I longed for on my many sleepless nights. He was the love of my life."

Nicki closed her notebook and looked at her mom.

"I like the concept, Nika. What inspired you?"

"I saw a movie. The main character got raped by two men and had a baby but by the end of the movie, she met a new man and fell in love."