Forgotten Shoes

In the passing days Ali and James had decided to prolong their stay in Dorset. James had offered his time to the local hospital to assist with the mass influx of soldiers returning from Dunkirk.

It was a warm May afternoon and fed up of being alone in the big house, Ali found herself walking idly through town. People milled about the square and there was a care free air to the world, almost as if the war had been forgotten. Pink and purple flowers bloomed in the hanging baskets and a group of elderly friends were playing bowls on the green in the centre of the square. If there was a war out there, nobody in Weymouth knew of it. Or at least that's how it felt...

Ali turned her back from the square and headed away from the village. The familiar lane was quiet and dim amongst the shade of the trees. She had planned on visiting her mother back home, but instead Ali turned from the lane and made her way through the trees and up the narrow stoney path to the left of the lane.

The thicket of vines and tall grass either side of the gravel pathway grew tall and unkempt and there was a buzz of bees and the chirp of crickets as she climbed the shallow ascent. Inhaling, she breathed in the familiar lovely smell of sweet grass, mixed with tree pine and the distant smell of ocean salt. It brought a smile to her face and as she crested the top of the hill, her smile widened as she came into the familiar clearing of the wildflower field.

The tall poplar trees lined the perimeter of the field and tall fluffy grass was a wash with bursts of purple, yellow and blues. For a long moment she stood at the edge of the field and marvelled at the sight of her favourite spot. It was so peaceful here, so unchanged and unmoving, unlike every other part of her life. The field was home.

Ali bent down and unfastened the buckles from her white shoes. She delicately slipped them from her feet and cradled them in one hand as she stepped onto the grass with bare feet. The soft grass crunched softly under her step and as she slowly walked forward the long grass brushed against her bare legs. Her red and white dress shifted as she moved. Her free hand glided against the tall grass and she twirled stray pieces between her fingers.

She lifted her head and at that moment she saw a figure step out from between the trees at the opposite end of the field. Ali could see it was a young man and from the way he held himself she knew it was him. She continued to walk forward, he hadn't seen her yet.

Jack stood with both hands in his pockets, his gaze fixed upwards as if staring at the tops of the tall poplar trees. Ali followed his gaze and saw a wave of sparrows moving gracefully in the air. She turned back to watch him and saw him inhale deeply as he continued to watch the birds.

She was closer now, thirty meters or so. When he turned his gaze, he would definitely see her. Ali toyed with herself about whether to call out to him or not. Before she could decide, Jack dropped his gaze from the sky and his eyes met with hers. He recognised her immediately and for a brief moment he hesitated before starting to walk towards her.

"Ali,"

"Jack," They both spoke at the same time.

"You first," They said simultaneously again.

Ali blushed and Jack chuckled lightly before gesturing towards her "You first,"

Ali nods curtly "I didn't know you'd be here,"

Jack paused for a moment, unsure of what to say. Then a playful smile broke out onto his face "Oh you mean like you didn't know I'd be patrolling Dunkirk the other day," he teases.

Ali's mouth drops open and her eyes widen "I didn't!" she exclaims stepping towards him.

Jack holds his hands up "Hey, it's fine. I'm honoured, seeing you twice in two days," he grins.