In Minds Eye

The next few days rolled by in a blur. At times it almost felt like the old days all over again. Ali and Jack took long walks together, sometimes staying out all day and just talking until the sun was low in the sky. They'd laugh like they used to and Ali's sweet melodic voice would carry high into the wind. Their ribs would ache and the two of them would fall back into the soft grass, breathless.

Then there were the other times.

The times when a blanket of sadness and grief would wash over Ali and cloud her every thought. Jack had known this girl all her life and yet here she was, a complete stranger to him. She spoke in poetic riddles, as her mind battled this war of emotions. Her words told the story of a girl wise beyond her years. A girl who'd experienced too much loss, too much hurt and maybe even too much love.

Jack's chest clenched with shame. He had done this to her; and for as long as he lived, he would never forget nor forgive himself for the pain he caused her.

Wheels crunch on gravel as the car pulls up outside the dormitory. The ever unchanging building stands tall and suddenly overbearing. Jack pulls his duffle from the back seat before shutting the door and tapping the roof twice.

"Thanks for the ride Jed,"

The vicar holds his hand up and waves, his mouth pulled into a tight sympathetic smile.

"Don't mention it son. Look after yourself,"

Jack nods then turns and walks towards B Block. He hears Jed drive off just as the door to the dormitory closes behind him. His feet carry him forward, the directions ingrained in his memory forever. As he reached try familiar wooden door of room 17 he hesitated for a brief moment before twisting the doorknob and stepping inside.

"Jacky boy!" he guffaws.

Jacks eyes widen and his bag falls aimlessly to the ground. He's engulfed into a bear like hug and a heavy set hand thumps him on the back.

"Man am I glad to see you," Farrier steps back, his eyes glinting.

Jack stares dumbfounded "It's you... What are you... How?"

The words jumble as he struggles to clear his thoughts.

"It's really you?" he lunges forward and hugs his friend tight. He feels tears of joy brim in his eyes but he forces them away and laughs back a sob.

"I'm so happy you're back,"

Farrier laughs lightly and pats Jacks shoulder before stepping out of his grasp "Alright, alright, don't get all soft on me now,"

The corner of Jacks mouth upturns and he shakes his head "I can't believe it,"

Jack steps further into the room, kicking his duffle bag along the floor and shutting the door behind him. His heart soared and his mind raced as he flopped lazily onto his old bed.

"So what... What happened out there?" He gazes across the room at his friend.

Farrier shakes his head "Another time," fear flashes momentarily across his features then he smiles brightly "I want to hear about you,"

"Me?"

"Tell me about Ali, Erica? The baby, Erica surely must be due any day,"

His words cut into Jack like a hot knife through butter.

"It's err... It's complicated," Jack sits up on his bed.

"Beer?" Farrier shrugs knowingly.

"Beer," Jack smiles tightly.

"Alright then, give me a few minutes," Farrier disappears into the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

Jack slumps back against the bed and sighs as he looks up at the grainy ceiling. He fiddles with some peeling paint on the wall and clicks his tongue in anticipation.

Minutes soon pass and Jack sits up impatient.

"You been saving this shit all day or what? What's taking so long?" Jack laughs.

Jack waits for Farrier to quip back but there's nothing.

"Farrier, come on mate," Jack says again.

"Farrier?" Jack is on his feet and making his way to the bathroom.

He taps lightly on the door and it opens with a slight creak.

"Tom?" Jack is serious now. "Tom I'm coming in," Jack steps gingerly inside.

Nothing.

The tiny space is empty.

The toilet seat is down and the shower curtain is pulled open. Nobody is here, nor ever has been.

Jack falls back against the wall, his legs giving way as he slides down to his haunches. He pinches the bridge of his nose and squeezes his eyes shut.

It wasn't real.

It was all in his head.

He inhales deeply and exhales with exasperation. Farrier was still missing and it hurt; it hurt like hell to know that in this crazy God forsaken world, his friend was still gone.

He sits there for a few moments and breathes deeply. He tries to shake away the thoughts that had felt so real to him. It was as though Farrier was right there with him. They had joked and smiled and he had felt Tom's hand on his back, felt his strength as he'd pulled him into a hug.

The mind was funny like that. Such a complex entity and yet so easily fooled. After a few more minutes Jack got to his feet. He walked out of the bathroom then out of the dormitory, his mind was racing but he tried to push the thoughts away as he exited the building. The sun was bright in the sky and his eyes squinted to adjust to the light. He raised his hand to shelter his eyes and breathed in the country air.

"Jack?"

He turned slowly, and that's when he saw her.

A/N: Hello again everyone, my first update in goodness knows how long. I hope this chapter finds you safe in this crazy year of 2020. I am determined to finish this story... I have another story planned but am not sure whether to sequel this one or start a totally new story?? Any thoughts?  R.