Farewell Kisses

"My love," 

"Ali," he shakes her arm lightly.

Ali stirs from her sleep, her naked body is draped with the sheet and the morning sun shines brightly through the window. She rubs the sleep from her eyes before sitting up, holding the sheet close to her bare chest.

"Good morning," Jack winks at her as he fastens his belt around his trousers.

"Morning," Ali croak as she ruffles a hand through her tangled hair.

Jack pulls on his pale blue shirt, fastens it up and tucks it into the waistband of his trousers. Ali swings her legs off the side of the bed and stands. She keeps the sheet wrapped around her.

"Turn around," she instructs as she scoops her clothes off the floor.

Jack laughs once "You do realise I've seen you naked now?" 

"Jack!" She exclaims.

"You can't be serious," his face alight with amusement.

"Turn," 

Jack rolls his eyes but turns his back on her as he fastens the navy blue tie around his neck. He can hear her scurrying about the room pulling her clothes on.

"I'm turning back-"

"No wait!" She squeals.

Jack laughs, shaking his head. He pulls his shoes onto his feet and ties the laces securely.

"Okay," she breathes.

Jack turns back to face her. She has removed the bobby pins from her hair and now it cascades around her shoulders in thick heavy curls. Her sweet face stares back at him.

"Can you fasten my dress," she asks.

Jack nods and slowly steps towards her. He rests a hand on the bare skin of her back before slowly sliding the zip up the material. He places a delicate hand on her shoulder and she turns to face him.

"I wish you didn't have to go," her voice quiet.

Jack exhales deeply and bends down to kiss her head "Me too," 

All too quickly his time at home had come to a bittersweet end. He stood on the platform with his duffel bag beside him and his hat in hand. Ali looked at him with sadness in her eyes. He stepped towards her, pulling her into his strong arms. She wrapped her arms around him and lay her head against his chest. The two of them said nothing, they just embraced. Ali listened to the steady beat of his heart and wished for nothing more than to be laying with him again, with her head against his chest once more.

The train whistled loudly behind them and reluctantly Jack took a step back and looked over his shoulder.

"I have to go," his voice is quiet.

Ali nods, her eyes brimming with tears. She wipes at her nose and tries to stifle the tears before they fall. Jack flips the hat onto his head and stands tall. Ali steps forward and reaches for the hat, she tucks her fingers underneath and adjusts it on his head.

"There," she forces a smile "Much better,"

Jack takes both of her hands in his and leans forward, kissing her lips tenderly. As he pulls back, a single tear rolls down Ali's face. Jack kisses her hands before stepping back and lifting his duffel bag off the ground. He tips his hat towards Ali before walking towards the train.

Breathless sobs break free from Ali and the tears she was holding back fall freely down her face. She sucks in a shallow breath, gasping on the air. She swipes at her eyes quickly, wiping away the tears.

"Jack!" she runs after him.

He is already on the train when he hears her call after him. He turns quickly to see her running towards him.

"I love you!" She calls from the platform.

Jack smiles back at her "I love you!" 

The door to the train is slammed shut by the platform conductor. Jack leans out of the window as a plume of steam billows from the chimney.  The train whistles and slowly starts to pull away. The people on the platform cheer and wave as their loved ones start to move away. Ali runs alongside the train, pushing her way through the crowds of people.

"Don't forgot your promise!" She calls out.

"I won't!" Jack watches as she stops running as she reaches the end of the platform.

"What is it?" She shouts back, her voice cracking at the end.

Her figure grows smaller as the train pulls out of the station. He can still see her blonde hair shining in the sun.

"To come back to you!" He shouts, unsure of whether she could still hear him or not.

Jack stayed at the window long after she was out of sight. The train rounded the corner and before long, he was already miles away from her.

When Ali arrived home she didn't even want to go inside. No doubt her mother would yell at her for not returning home. She would demand to know where she'd been and when she found out she would disown her for giving away her virtue. She wondered how much trouble she would be in. Ali balled her hands into fists before taking a deep breath and stepping inside the house. 

The house was quiet. At first she thought there was nobody home, but then she saw them, her mother and sister were huddled around the kitchen table. Both of them had tears running down their faces, her mother clutched a letter in her hand.

"Mother?" Ali croaked as she stood in the doorway of the kitchen.

"Oh Ali," her mother looked up at her through glossy eyes, her voice was thick with sadness.

"What is it mother?" Ali rushes to her mothers side and places a gentle hand on her leg as she crouches beside her.

"It's your father, Ali," her mother sobs "He's dead,"