I Will Love You

The car pulls up on the grass verge and Ali steps out. Uxbridge base was larger than she had imagined. It was busy today, there were lots of people visiting their sons and husbands and wishing them good fortunes in the coming war. Her eyes scan the crowd of people but she can't see him. As she pushes through the hoards of people, her eyes fix on the faces of the soldiers in the crowd- searching for the familiar blue of Jack's eyes. He's not here.

She reaches the far side of the crowd where she see's Farrier talking with another man. He waves at her slowly when he recognises her. Ali walks towards him.

"Ali? What are you doing here?" He is surprised to see her.

"I'm looking for Jack, have you seen him?" Her eyes dart to the crowd of soldiers stood to the side. Her eyes scan their faces but none of them are him.

"He was in our dormitory when I left," Farrier points to the rectangular building in the distance and gives her the room details.

"Thank you Farrier," Ali smiles at him and places a comforting hand on his shoulder "You be careful out there," she adds softly.

"I always am," he says quietly.

Ali starts to walk away when Farrier calls after her "Ali!"

Ali turns, she raises a hand to shield her eyes from the bright sun overhead "Yes?"

"I'm sorry I didn't stop him that night. I should have stopped him for you," Farrier lowers his head sheepishly.

Ali lowers her hand and stares at Farrier "It wasn't your fault. There's nothing to forgive," and with that she turns and walks towards the dormitory buildings.

When she reaches his room Ali stops outside. The block is quiet, all of the men are busy in the square. She raps on the door in quick succession. The noise echoes down the empty corridor. There's no sound of movement inside so Ali knocks again. Still no answer. Ali sighs as she looks up and down the corridor, she's alone. Reluctantly she tries the handle and surprisingly the door opens.

The room is empty. Jack isn't here. The two beds are neatly made and there are clothes hanging in the wardrobe. A post card of Weymouth hangs above the bed to the right. She sighs heavily and sits on Jack's bed. Looking about the room her heart lurches as she wonders if this room resembles the room in which he slept with Erica. Her conscience scolds her and she balls her fists trying to shake the uneasy thought.

Resting on his bedside table is a silver photo frame containing her picture. He still had it. Ali picks up the photograph and strokes the frame. Maybe she could forgive him and overtime maybe she could forget. She touches a hand to her small stomach and smiles sadly. Jack always wanted children, maybe this could still work she tries to convince herself. Her mind is deep in thought when she hears footsteps in the corridor. Panicked she hastily sets the photograph back onto the side table and hurries out of the room. She hears the photo frame topple over but she doesn't look back. She closes the door behind her and hurries out of the building.

Breathing heavily Ali rests her back on the stone wall of the building. She lifts her head and inhales deeply, taking in the sweet smell of freshly mowed grass. Ali stokes the soft hair out of her face and fixes the loose strands back into her low bun. She adjusts her blue tilt hat on her head and pulls her long woollen coat around her. Slowly she walks across the grass, weaving in and out of dormitory buildings to find the main path back to the square. Her heels stick in the grass and Ali huffs as she rounds the corner. Suddenly she stops and hides herself behind the nearest building. Poking her head around the side, she listens in. She knows that voice. It's Jack. 

She can see him. He's wearing brown trousers and a short sleeved white shirt with the top few buttons undone. His blonde hair is flat on his head and sweeps down across his forehead. She watches as he pushes the hair back from his face. Ali inhales and prepares to approach him.