The Waiting Game

My Dearest Ali,

I hope this letter finds you in better spirits than the last. As always my every thought is of you, where you are and what you are doing...
My days at Biggin Hill are numbered. Captain tells us we're in the closing stages of our Basic Training and that we are to move to new military bases before the New Year.
They've decided to send me to RAF Uxbridge. Thankfully it is no further away from you than Biggin Hill is, and Farrier too has been sent to the same place. My training as pilot is nearly upon me!
I thought of you again this week. There's snow on the ground now and I remember how much you love the winter. I do hope there is snow for you back home!
I'm pleased to tell you that this letter bears good news. I shall be returning home to you on Christmas Eve! The thought of seeing you again and holding you in my arms, is what keeps me going day by day.
I love you my dearest Ali, with all of my heart. I cannot wait to see you again.

Forever Yours,

Jack.

"Forever yours, Jack," Ali reads the letter out loud.

Her face is alight and a broad smile stretches across her face.

"Home for Christmas, how wonderful!" James beams as he swings the axe over his head and down onto the log in one swift motion.

Ali watches him from the fence she is perched on.

"He can't come soon enough!" She squeals, kicking her legs in excitement.

James chuckles as he collects the chopped wood into neat piles.

Ali rereads the letter. Her eyes darting across the page as she hangs onto every word.

I shall be returning home to you on Christmas Eve.

She rereads that sentence over and over, grinning. Chistmas Eve, it was only two weeks away. Two more weeks and Jack would be back! Her excitement overwhelmed her, this is exactly what she needed in her life right now, more than ever, was to see him again.

She jumps down from the fence and folds the letter, tucking it into the back of her brown skirt. She scoops a pile of the chopped wood into her arms and walks beside James back up to the big house.

Ivy Wood Manor was aptly named. The large house, built in the late 19th century was set amongst the hills further in land. The estate was snug and cosy within its woodland setting of tall trees and the house itself was draped in thin leafy vines of green ivy. The low hedge row lining the front of the house was clipped immaculately and the pebble driveway looped in a perfect circle around a neat grass verge. 

Over the past few weeks, Ali had visited the Harrington's frequently. Often she would come and watch James as he filed paperwork and prepared for his move to London in the coming weeks. The two of them would chat endlessly as he worked. Often their conversations were menial and insignificant; but sometimes they brushed over more serious topics: The war, would it ever be the same again?  Was Churchill making the right choices? Would rations ever end? How much sugar was really in mint humbugs? And did dogs really see in black and white?  All of these things they had covered, mulling over them until they had exhausted every possible answer. Most of the time Ali came to the big house as a distraction. Talking with James took her mind off things, took her mind off Jack.

Approaching the rear of the house, they dumped the logs into a metal tub. They thudded to the bottom with a clang and James covered the tub with a waterproof sheet. Stepping through the backdoor, a blast of warm air hit Ali's face and she smiled contently.

"Here," James gently pulls her coat from her shoulders and hooks it onto the coat stand.

"Thanks,"

She follows him through the house and into the study. The house had become familiar to her now and as she walked through the hallway her eyes scanned over the photographs adorning the walls. She paused momentarily to look at one in particular.

"Henry," James says from behind her.

"Hmm?" Ali looks at him over her shoulder.

"My older brother," James offers a small smile "He's dead now,"

Ali's eyes cast down, suddenly sad for James "What happened?"

"War," was all James said. His voice held a sadness she had never heard before. He turned and walked into the study.

Ali looked back at the photograph, her eyes studying the picture carefully. Two boys, no more than five or six years old, stood side by side. The taller boy Henry, his arm was clutched tightly around James' shoulder and the two of them wore wide happy grins. The picture made Ali's heart ache, she had never met Henry but it saddened her to know that this war had taken yet another person.

She followed James into the study, leaving the two boys in the photograph. He was standing behind the dark mahogany desk. He was shuffling papers and placing them into cardboard boxes. The room was much emptier now than it was a few weeks ago. Boxes were stacked on top of each other in the far corner and large white sheets had been thrown on top of the lesser used furniture.

He smiled at her as she perched herself on the edge of the desk.

"So," he said, placing a lid on top of the box "What are you going to do when Jack gets back?"

Ali's face broke into a wide grin at the mention of his name. She rambled excitedly to James about all of the things she was desperate to do; from walks along the beach, to hopefully building a snowman if the snow should return. He watched her with bright eyes, her sing-song voice capturing him as she gushed about Jack coming home.

"Hopefully we'll get to do it all before he heads back to London," she sighs breathlessly.

"And what will you do when he leaves?" James walks across the room and sets the box with the existing pile of boxes in the corner.

Ali shrugs "Wait for him I guess," 

A silence forms between them before James clears his throat to speak again "I...I wanted to talk to you about that,"

"Yes?" 

"I leave for London at the beginning of January. I was hoping you'd come with me,"

Ali's eyes widen, she had not expected this. James must have realised the gravity of his words as he rushed over to her.

"No, no Ali, not like that," he laughs awkwardly "There's work in London, admin, nursing, factory work, anything really. I thought you might want to do something to keep you busy. Staying here and waiting...It isn't good for you," his voice is gentle.

Relief washes over Ali. Her eyes look up to meet James, who is watching her with a hopeful expression.

Ali smiles lightly but shakes her head "Thank you James, you're always trying to do what's best," she begins slowly "But I can't,"

James' face falls slightly.

"I can't leave my family," Ali adds "And I promised Jack I'd wait here for him," 

James nods, he forces a small smile at Ali.

"I understand," his voice has the same undertone of sadness to it as before.

He turns away and busies himself with more boxes on his desk. After a few moments of quiet he clears his throat and speaks again, his voice more upbeat now.

"So, what are you going to get Jack for Christmas?"