Winter Wishes

The next morning they had awoke and found themselves still laying on the sofa from the night before. Their legs were entwined and Jack's arms still held Ali close to him.

As they rose from their sleep, their bodies ached from the night spent on the sofa. It was still early, his parents were still in bed and the house around them was quiet.

"Good morning," Jack yawned as Ali sat up and stretched.

"Good morning," She hummed back sleepily. 

Jack stroked his fingertips up and down her back as he lay on the sofa. A warm tingle shivered through Ali and she smiled at him lazily as she adjusted to waking up.

"What are we doing today?" Ali asked.

"Anything you want my love," He leaned up and craned his neck to see through the window as he brushed the curtain aside. "A day in the snow perhaps?" 

Ali grinned "You read my mind,"

It was white all around them as they walked hand in hand through their favourite field. The long grass and wild flowers had gone for the winter and instead a cold white blanket of snow lay before them. It was quiet outside, not even the familiar shriek of the seagulls could be heard today. When they reached the middle of the field Ali, still clutching Jack's hand, did a twirl. He smiled adoringly at her as she twirled round and around.

"You're crazy Ali," Jack laughed, his hand holding hers above her head as she continued to spin.

She thudded against his chest and he caught her just as she lost balance. The two of them tumble backwards, Ali landing on top of Jack. They shriek but break into laughter as they hit the soft ground.

Ali's hair falls in front of her face as she laughs. Her musical laughter captivates Jack and he watches her, tucking her blonde hair behind her ear. Her eyes meet his as his fingers caress her cheek.

"Why are you staring?" Ali whispers.

"Because you are beautiful Ali Dawes," 

Ali blushes and casts her eyes down, her cheeks reddening at his words.

"And because I couldn't wish to be anywhere else with you right now," he adds.

Ali nods before she lays down beside him in the snow. His arm curls around her, hugging her close as she drapes her leg across his.

"Do you remember the first time I told you I loved you?" Jack hums from beside her. His eyes are fixed on the pale blue sky above.

Ali hugs herself close to him, her head against his chest "How could I forget," 

"Come on Ali, it's your turn!" Charlie called.

Ali groaned as the other three laughed. She plodded towards Charlie, her knees lifted high as she waded through the tall grass. 

"Turn around," he grinned as he tied the black piece of material around Ali's face, covering her eyes. "Can you see?" he asked and Ali shook her head.

"Okay, give us ten seconds,"  she heard Emily shout as the three of them rushed off through the long grass.

"Okay, ten, nine, eight..." Ali counted out loud. The sound of the rustling grass grew more distant as the others ran and hid.

"Seven, six, five, four..." Ali pivoted on the spot trying to listen out for any of them nearby. 

"Three, two, one. I'm coming!" Ali called out in a playful voice.