Chapter Twenty-Four - Denying Rejection

Start from the beginning

I faked a smile.

"That would be lovely."

Upon entering the ballroom, Alpha Schneider and I were met by Adam and Jace.

"Darling," Adam said. "I was just looking for you."

"Oh," I said. "I've just introduced myself to Alpha Superior Schneider."

Jace raised an eyebrow at this.

"I see that," Adam said.

I could tell he was putting on a show. His voice was more professional and more polished now than it normally was.

"Your mate is lovely," Alpha Schneider said.

I saw disgust flash across Adam's face.

"Indeed," Adam said. He turned his attention to me.

"Darling, I've yet to get my waltz this evening."

"Oh," I said, narrowing my eyes at him. "I suppose I've been too busy dancing with Diedrick and Jace."

I thought I saw Alpha Superior Schneider smile out of the corner of my eye.

"My turn," Adam said, holding out his hand.

I could tell his patience was running thin. He was over the act.

"It was lovely to meet you," I said, smiling at Alpha Schneider.

"You as well, fräulein," he said, kissing my hand.

I took Adam's outstretched hand and he led me away, towards the dance floor.

"What the hell were you thinking?" He growled under his breath.

"I saved your ass," I said angrily. "You're lucky I got to him before Tyler had the chance to say anything else."

"Jace would have intervened if you had not," he said, faking a smile at someone as we passed them.

"Jace was too busy dancing with me because you weren't man enough to do it yourself," I quipped.

"I am not a man," Adam growled, pulling me into his chest as we began to dance.

His eyes were angry as I looked up at him.

"I am something so much more that you do not want to play games with," he continued.

My jaw tightened as I looked away.

"I'm merely playing the game you started," I snapped.

"Evelyn-"

"Don't!" I said, turning to look at him again.

His jaw clenched.

We danced for a few more agonizing minutes before the music stalled, signaling it was time to eat.

Everyone stopped dancing and applauded for the orchestra before making their way from the ballroom into the grand lobby where the tables were set up for dinner.