Chapter Twenty-Two - Gala

Start from the beginning

"Do you think they know?" I asked Adam.

"Let's hope not," he said.

"This will be very awkward if they do," Jace commented.

Their eyes continued to analyze the crowds until one of them caught my eye. He smiled slightly before beginning to make his way over to where we stood.

"Alpha Deveraux," he greeted in a thick German accent, his eyes still locked on me.

"Diedrick," Adam said. "How are you?"

"Fine," he answered shortly, finally looking up at Adam. "Could I speak with you for a moment?"

The two men locked eyes in a short stare-off.

Diedrick was as tall as Adam was, although he wasn't near as burly. But, if there was anything I had learned in that castle, it was that looks could be deceiving.

"Right this way," Adam replied.

I pulled my hand from Adam's arm as he and Diedrick left Jace and I and disappeared into the crowds.

"They definitely know," I remarked.

"Have a little faith in your mate, would you?" Jace said. "He's a level-headed man. He'll figure it out."

I took a deep breath in response.

"Evie!"

I looked over to see Vega and Liu walking over, to which Jace cleared his throat awkwardly and left.

"You guys look great!" I said to them.

Vega had on killer makeup with her hair half-up and was wearing a white lace, halter-neck dress that fell to the floor. Liu, who wore red lipstick and had pulled her hair in a sleek ponytail, was in a crimson red, form-fitting dress that had sheer sleeves and a long slit up her right leg.

"Your dress looks fantastic!" Liu commented.

"Yeah, you look great," Vega agreed. "Did you happen to get a look at that fine piece of chocolate cake in the traditional garb?"

I laughed.

"His name is Nwabueze Oghojafor," I informed her.

"I'd change my last name for him," she said, sipping from the gold-rimmed crystal champagne flute in her hand.

I looked up and saw Nwabueze walking around alone.

"You should go talk to him," I said. "He's walking by himself."

"No way," Vega said.

"He's a Beta Superior, why wouldn't you want that?" Liu asked incredulously.

My mind immediately went to Jace and my heart hurt for her.

"That means he's a pureblood," Vega said. "He probably has a mate."

"He doesn't," Liu said.

"Have you looked him in the eyes yet?" I asked Vega. "You have to make eye contact with someone to initiate the mating bond."

Vega gave me an unamused look.

"You actually think he could be my mate?" She asked.

"You never know," I said.

"You have to at least give it a try," Liu prompted.

Vega groaned and downed the rest of the champagne.

"Okay, here goes nothing."

She turned to leave, but immediately turned back around.

"Ugh, I can't do it!" she squealed.