The First Task

*YOUR POV*

     I walked back out the doors, watching them close behind me as Boris returned to and entered the lift. I then turned to follow him, but a metal arm slammed down in between two fences, preventing me from proceeding. I looked at the wooden plank connecting the platforms over a lake of ink and decided not to risk jumping over. Alice's voice cane from overhead. "I'll make this simple. Look for valve panels. Turn the little wheels. Then bring me their power cores. Please don't make me regret sparing you. I can always change my mind." I rolled my eyes, knowing full well she wouldn't. She needed ne to fetch and bring back things for her to be "beautiful." I sighed and waited for the arm to go up. Strangely, it didn't, so I spun around, wondering if I'd missed a switch or lever. I saw nothing resembling that, but I noticed a plunger in the pipe now. I took the plunger, setting my lead pipe in its place momentarily. However, as soon as I did so, the lead pipe got sucked away and I was left with the plunger. The arm then lifted, allowing me access to go back to the lift. I slowly crept up the stairs and into the lift, nodding to Boris, then pressing a random button for a floor. As the lift began to ascend, I thought about what Alice could want with power cores. They wouldn't help her appearance. Or anything, really. The power cores in the valve panels were really only good for regulating ink flow. A though occurred to me. If they were meant to regulate ink flow, she could attach them to her to keep the ink in her body cycling through. She'd be recycling her own ink, so it would be impossible to get rid of it. She'd become virtually invincible. As the lift halted, I realized what a terrible mistake I'd just made.