•1.3•

Day two was more wrapped around the carnival as well as most of the next days. Anyone involved with animals were kept busy maintaining barns and whatnot but I haven't been through the barns since I was in third grade and forced to. This was one of the only times my parents came home. It was poor for reputation if they didn't show to local events that they invest in yearly.

"I know, but who the hell wears cowgirl boots when you live in a mansion and you scream at the sight of a pig?" Orie laughs as she steals some kettle corn from Ken's bucket. We were currently walking the grounds and laughing at the getup we spotted Georgie in. She looked like a stripper to be quite honest but I'm not here to judge. Just kidding, it's what three gossiping girls do in their spare time.

"I wonder what was coursing through her mind when she put it on?" Ken joins in, making me laugh lightly as I think of all possible words that could escape her little pea sized brain. She wasn't playing dumb all those years, let me tell you. Georgie Adams was the literal definition of airhead. She had impeccable style to make up for it, except for this time. I'm concerned. But only a little bit. She's losing her grip on humanity clearly.

As though the event was timed perfectly, a body collided with my own, causing me to drop well absolutely nothing but my pride to be completely honest.

"Shit, sorry. Oh, Mean Mena. Hey."

Of course. Bay View was a big community. Our four branches gave that away easily but the turn out to the yearly summer festival was different each year. This year, was decent. So it was to my surprise that I'd actually see Finn again. Yesterday while I was talking with Teddy, I noticed him and Ash in a conversation just under the tall oak tree sat at the edge of the main park. Granted, I was watching Ash but I caught a few glimpses of his own gaze fixated on me. It came as a surprise to me to say the least. I figured he'd vanish to fuck the blonde he was engaging in conversation with and I'm sure he did I mean he's Finn Quinton but still, this was far from a coincidence.

"Yeah. Hi, Finn." I say unenthused for the benefit of my two best friends who knew all my secrets except for the still tingling feeling left from Finn's attention just a month ago.

"Kenny, and Oreo!" He calls, having come up with a nickname for Orie as though he'd see her again. Over my dead fucking body, Finn.

"Hey, Finn. Enjoying the festivities?" Ken asks, engaging in an unwelcome conversation. Unwelcome by me of course.

He simply nods, his eyes squandering the field for probably a potential prospect to take to his rich little pent house. I know I'm only being bitter because of our last encounter. The truth was, he cheated. There was no way I'd let him manipulate me into thinking otherwise.

"That's nice, we should go," I say, tugging at Ken's arms in hopes of her saving me.

Finn fakes a pout, making my insides melt. Because it's summer. Clearly. "Why so soon, Mean Mena? The conversation has just begun." He was being cocky. This was never a good sign. At least not now, not these days.

I pinch the bridge of my nose to relieve this headache that was hurting me. Am I being overdramatic? Yes. But I've convinced myself that Finn isn't toxic. That the pain of betrayal isn't still hurting me. But it is, and the pretending has caught up to me. I'm done stooping to his level, to Georgie's because that's not who I am. I'm happy with Teddy.

"And the conversation is ending now. Goodbye, Finn," I tug Ken with me who quickly grips onto Orie. I knew he was watching me walk away. He deserves it. He deserves to feel what I did months ago. All I got was a note. A fucking note to define the end of the beginning. I'm sure his cocky self thought this was nothing, because his pea sized brain couldn't comprehend that much. I don't care about the scholarships, the literature, the really good sex, Finn and I are done. Not that there was anything there again. Because this time, it was my goodbye.