six • i want a divorce

Third Person Point of View.

"I want a divorce."

Stopping from what she was doing, Y/N looked at her husband for over ten years in confusion.

"I want a divorce from you," Odell stated firmly again, watching the chef knife she held in her hand carefully.

Feeling her heart pound against her chest as the words reached her ears, she finally shook her head and laugh.

"You always knew how to get me," she chuckled as she went back to slicing the cucumbers for the salad that they were having for tonight's dinner. "But know, I will get you back."

Sighing at his wife's delusions, he again cleared his throat.

"I can't keep doing this with you," he tried again. He wanted Y/N to understand from his side of things, and why he was tired of the commitment, he shared with her. "I can't keep lying to you, saying that I love you when I don't anymore.  I want out Y/N."

Quickly covering the sob that escaped from her mouth, she looked at the man she loved with tears threatening to fall.

"It's about him isn't it?" she trembled in sadness, realizing the real cause of this discussion. "You have never forgiven me about TJ haven't you?"

"It's not about my son," he suddenly shouted, causing his wife to jump. "It's about you, and you know that so don't bring him into this for an excuse."

Laying the knife down on the counter, she shook her head, not believing the lies that played from his lips.

"You're lying to me, Odell! Ever since that night, you've been cold to me. I'm sorry I was the cause of my son's death. Don't you think I know what I did?" She said with sadness laced in her voice. "You don't know how much it takes a toll on me knowing that when I wake up, I won't see his face!"

"Shut up!" he roared with anger brimming from his eyes. "You killed my child, and I tried to forgive you, but every time I look at you,  you remind me of a place that I don't want to be in no more."

"Odell, I said I was sorry."

"Sorry don't cut it anymore," he released a sharp breath. "I hate you for what you did."

Feeling the hurt in his voice, she moved over to where he stood.

"Everyday when I wake up, I always go back to that day. I didn't know that a deer was in the middle of the road until it was too late. I didn't know that he took his seatbelt off of him. I beat myself every day, wondering why I didn't check through the review mirror. It's my fault, and I take full responsibility."

"I don't want to hear it," he pulled away as she tried to touch his arm. "You should have seen that deer. If you weren't running late like you always do, you would have noticed that his seatbelt wasn't on."

"Please," Y/N cried out, not fully wanting to give up on this marriage yet. "We can go back to counseling or something."

Shaking his head, he pulled something out of his back pocket. "Look at our son!"

"I can't look at it," she turned away from the picture as he tried to make her see the paper that captured the smile of their six-year-old son.

"Look at it!" He yanked her face to what he wanted her to see. "You took my son away from me, and I want you to see it."

Letting out the cries she had built up inside of her, she pushed him away from her and finished dinner. "Just bring the papers for me to sign."