sixteen • peppermint muffins

2 years later

...

"Good morning! Welcome to Sweetie's Pastries, what would you like today?" I said in a chirpy voice to the next customer in line.

"I'll have two peppermint muffins and a cup of coffee please," the familiar voice replied as he stared down at the sweets tucked away behind the glass wall.

Totaling everything up, I looked directly at his brown eyes. "That will be $4.60."

Handing me the exact change, I put it in the cash register without hesitation.

He was one of our regulars and he didn't look like the type that will give me counterfeit money.

Taking two muffins from where they sat, I placed them in one of our custom made bags and handed it to the handsome brown haired man.

He was good looking, but I heard he was engaged.

Now I might be a lot of things, but hitting on a married man wasn't one of them.

Handling him the cup of coffee he also asked for, I gave him a smile.

A smile crept upon his face as he was getting ready to leave. "Thanks for everything."

I waved him a goodbye. "No problem. Come again."

Once he was gone, I hummed to myself, waiting for the next customer to enter into the bakery.

"I wish he wasn't getting married soon, I'll fuck him so hard," Beatrice said out loud with no care in the world.

Beatrice was the only friend, well the only person I could trust after moving to New York two years ago. Her personality was far out there.

Turning completely around, I looked at her in astonishment. "I know you just did not say that."

She gave her long brown hair a flip. "You know how I roll. I speak my mind, unlike you."

"Whatever. I just don't say the first thing that comes to my mind."

"That's why you're still single,"she said matter-of-factly while handing a customer their sweets.

I cringed at her words.

She was the only person I knew could talk to me like that without getting a slap to the face.

"Or the fact that I don't want a boyfriend," I muttered to myself.

I mean who really needs a boyfriend when you have books and male celebrities to look at.

As it became later in the evening, the bakery became isolated, making us two girls ask each other what we were doing for the holidays.

"Well, my boyfriend wants to spend Christmas with his family," she groaned. "But I don't think his parents are too fond of me."

"You should, I mean they will be your in-laws in a few years," I reasoned with her while filling the glass containers with more sweets and bread.

" I know. What you're doing?" She asked.

"I don't know. I'll probably stay at home and watch old holiday movies."

She gave me an 'are you serious look'. "Why don't you go see your friends and family, you don't need to be all alone Y/n."

"My parents are going on a cruise," I lied. "They won't be back until the new year."

"I know when you-." She was immediately cut off by her phone ringing in her back pocket.

Giving me a look, I knew it wasn't the last of this conversation.

----

After my shift was finally over, I said my goodbyes and left without saying another word. I didn't want to bring up the conversation from earlier at no cost.

Being nighttime in all, I made sure I had my pepper spray in one hand and my phone in the other, just in case a creep wanted to make an appearance.

Sitting on a bench that sat outside the bakery, I waited for the bus to pick me up.

Burning some time, I dialed my mother's phone number.

We called each other throughout the day to make sure everything was right with each other.

"Hello?" I heard her asked on the other end of the line.

"Hi, mom," I finally said after a while of silence being shared between us through the phone.

I wasn't much of a talker when it came to other people, so I was a little nervous now.

"Hey sweetie!" she exclaimed. "How's everything in New York?"

"It's going good, my last day is tomorrow," I said. "Then I'll be off for the holidays."

"You know the family reunion is in a couple of days right?"

Rolling my eyes, I knew what was about to come next.

"How about you come down here with your boyfriend and we'll spend the holidays together like old times."

I heard the hope in her voice.

"I-I d-don't know if my boyfriend would like to come," I stuttered.

"If he really loves you then he will come, so I'll see you in a couple of days?" she asked, sounding like a child asking for candy at the candy store. "I really want to see you Y/n and the boy you've been gushing about for the last year or so."

Chewing on my gum, I stood up once I saw my bus driving up in front of me. Getting on, I gave the driver my bus fare and sat in my usual spot which was in the back.

"Okay, mom," I said after awhile. "I'll be there in like two days."

"Thank you!" she gushed. "I can't wait to meet my son-in-law."

Closing my eyes, I put my hand to my forehead. I'm in for some trouble.

"I'll talk to you later," I finally said.

"I'll see you in a few days," she laughed before completely disconnecting our call.

Turning my phone off, I put it into my purse, and let out a troubled breath.

I had to find me a boyfriend in two days.

This is was so not my year.

____________