thirty-eight - my best friend's boyfriend

Your Point of View.

Tightening the book bag to my back in a rush, I grabbed my phone and keys from the kitchen counter, not even stopping to eat the most important meal of the day.

Before leaving, I took a quick glance in the mirror, wishing my butt was in bed, eating vanilla ice cream all day instead of preparing for my classes.

Shaking my head at the distant, but dreamy thought, I walked out of my apartment and into the summer weather, ready tot start the day.

Feeling a slight breeze going through my hair as I sped walked to a wooden bench, I cursed myself for taking my jacket out from my book bag last night.

Thinking I didn't need it, I threw it in the dirty hamper, tending to wash it with the rest of my clothes later on today.

Taking the shuttle bus to my first class of the day, I closed my eyes in remembrance of what Odell had said to me in the cafeteria yesterday.

When he told me that he liked me, I sat there in stillness, not even blinking an eye as everyone else that surrounded us went on with their daily lives.

Watching closely at his body language, my stomach was in knots at his confession.

Don't get me wrong, I liked him for a long time, but he was still my friend's boyfriend, and I just couldn't be that person who looked out for my feelings and no one else.

That wasn't me at all.

Standing up from the table with my belongings, I told him that I had to go to the bathroom, before sprinting out of there as fast as I could, and not looking back.

Laughing at myself for not handling it like a grown woman, I walked into the lecturing hall, taking a seat in the back of the already crowded room.

Normally, I would have sat in the front to see the dry-erase board more clearly, but with Odell taking the same exact class, I just couldn't take that chance.

I didn't want to be spotted today...

Well at least by him.

Pulling my laptop and phone from my bag and sitting them both on the desk, I looked at the time, wondering when the professor was going to make his appearance and lecture us already.

"So are you just going to ignore me now," I heard a voice say from beside me as I checked my emails.

Looking up from the computer screen, I watched as he took a seat beside me.

Damn. I couldn't win for losing, could I?

"Why would you say that?" I asked, trying not to sound like I was doing just that.

"Because maybe you change where you were sitting all of sudden," he folded his tattooed arm across his chest, bringing his eyes to the seat I normally sat in.

"I wanted to try something new," I shrugged. "What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing at all," he shook his head as his full attention was now on me. "I'm in the same boat as you. Everyone should try something different, right?"

Shaking my head, where was the professor when I needed him the most.

"Odell, please stop."

He frowned. "Why?"

"Because I am not the one to screw a relationship with my best friend for someone who is so selfish. I just can't get involved with someone who only looks out for his feelings and no one else."

"Are you kidding me right now!" He chuckled dryly. "I broke up with y/bf/n last night because of you. I didn't want to go behind her back when I have feelings for someone else."

I looked at him with wide eyes.

"I didn't tell you to break up with her!" I quietly yelled at him, trying not create a scene in front of two hundred plus students. "I never told you to do that in the fucking first place."

"I know you didn't tell me to do what I did and I knowledge that. I don't know if it's love or not but I want to find that out y/n. I have never felt this feeling before with anyone else, but you."

"Odell," I closed my eyes in frustration. "Please don't say that."

"Why can't I, y/n," he covered my lap with his hand. "Why can't I build something with you and only you?"

"Because I'm scared!" I confessed. "I'm scared to be in a relationship with you even though I like you a lot. I just can't be with you."

He sighed in defeat. "I respect you for standing up for your values, but I want to let you in on something."

Sighing, I gave up trying to fight with him.

He lightly trailed his calloused fingers on my lips before stopping abruptly in the middle.

"Even if it take me the rest of my life to prove to you that I care for you, then I will just have to do that. Y/n, you are one in a million and I just can't let you slip through my fingers without fighting for you," he shakes his head in determination. "I just can not stop fighting for you."

__________