four • for colored girls

Your Point of View

Opening my eyes to the sound of glass breaking outside my room, I turned towards the clock on my nightstand, frowning at what it blinked.

3:08 a.m.

Pulling the covers from my body and stuffing my feet into my slippers, I grabbed the sharpest thing from my nightstand, not even ready for whatever was going to happen.

Slowly tiptoeing to the area where the noise came from, I held the sharpened pencil to my chest, hoping it was just my longtime boyfriend making the noise.

Coming in contact with Mark holding our daughter in his arms, I let out a sigh of relief, glad that it was him and not some strangers robbing our home.

"Mark, what are you doing?" I noticed his demeanor as he rocked our six-month-old daughter to sleep.

His eyes were bloodshot, and the shattered glass beneath his feet was a product of a whiskey company of some sorts.

"Are you going to marry me Y/N?" He slurred his speech as his brown eyes found mine.

Giving him a concerned look, I nodded my head, trying to get him to believe in me, even if I didn't know where this was going.

"You're lying to me Y/ N," he shook his head, sending me a sinister smirk.

"Plese give me my child!" I tried to grab Jurnee from his grips but failed miserably.

"Your child? So what are you trying to say now?" He spat into my face before pushing me to the ground with his large hands. "Jurnee's not mine, you fucking whore?"

Scared to death, I looked up at him.

What was he saying?

"She's yours! I have never had sex with anyone else, but you."

"Too late for that," he gritted his teeth before walking to our bedroom at full speed. "You had your fucking chance Y/N."

Getting up from the floor, I followed his trail, stopping with tears in my eyes as he stood on the balcony.

Running up to him with all I had left in me, this wasn't the man I fell in love with in the beginning.

"Give me my child you son of a bitch!" I clawed at his back.

"Get off of me," he slapped me in the face, causing me to lose the ground I was gaining on him.

Waking Jurnee up from her sleep, he kissed her on the cheek before putting her on the other end of the rail.

"Don't do this," I yelled in pain, blocking out the sound that was coming from our neighbors outside, wondering what was going on and who was screaming at this time of the night. "Please just leave her out of this."

Not flinching as I tried to get him to come to his senses, the last thing I remember from that night was the gasps from the onlookers and my baby laying lifeless on the concrete.

_____________

Odell's Point of View

Watching Mrs. Y/L/N as she sat in the chair, looking at nothing, but the table in front of her, I couldn't imagine what she was going through right now.

Watching your daughter die in the hands of her father was hard to even think about let alone go through it.

"We've charged him with second-degree murder," I tried to bring light to the situation after what had happened earlier this morning. "He's going to stay in jail until the trial starts."

She gave a faint smile at the news.

We sat opposite of each other in the interrogation room as I tried to get more information on what happened since the suspect wasn't talking to us right this minute.

I was a crime scene investigator, and after I receive a call from the department in the middle of the night, I knew I had to take this case after finding out what had happened.

"It's all my fault," her vision blurred as she remembered what had transpired. "I should have left when he started showing anger problems, but I stayed. I thought he was going to get better."

"I didn't protect her," she wiped her eyes with the tissues I gave her. "I can't forgive myself for not doing that."

I looked at her with sympathy. "Don't say that. You did what you thought was right."

She sniffled. "How many years is he going to get?"

"I'll make sure he never steps into the outside world again," I promised her as I took in her disheveled appearance.

Nodding her head, she stood up from her seat, trying to take it all in.

"I have to go," she whimpered as she grabbed her purse from the table.

Getting up from my chair also, I stopped her before she could leave the room.

"Is there anything else I can do for you?" She looked up at me with stained cheeks.

"You don't need to go back there. The apartment is still under investigation. Do you have any relatives you could stay at for a couple of nights?"

She shook her head. "They all live in Louisiana and Alabama."

"I rubbed the stubble on my chin in thought. "I'll set a hotel up for you then."

"I don't have any money," she sniffled with a frown. "I'll just have to figure something out, but thanks anyway."

"I'll pay, you don't have to worry," I said after a while.

"I can't let you do that," she looked down at her shoes.

'Don't worry about it," I shooed the situation away like it was nothing. "After all you've been through, this is the least I could do."

________________