- 22 -

chapter twenty-two:

“Cael? Cael, please get up. God, I knew I should've brought the suit! Cael! Cael, please!” His eyes rolled aimlessly, he slowly moved. His throat burned and he coughed roughly. His chest was aching and his lips felt sore as if he was punched. “Breathe, thank god, breathe Cael.” He did as he was told, looking at who was bearing down on him.

“P. . . Pe. . . Peter?” He rasped. Peter was staring at him, his eyes wide, tears glistening in them.

It was the strangest thing, his tears. His face was red and blotchy and the tears made visible lines down his cheeks. Caelum felt his stomach twist. “I thought. . . your dad, I. . .” he didn't finish the sentence. More tears moved down his face.

“My dad?” He croaked. His throat hurt so bad, he could hardly breathe.

Peter sniffed, rubbing his face. “After you two left, it had been a while and. . . I was looking for you and I. . . I found you here and you weren't breathing. You dad was gone. I. . . God, Cael. . .” His arms were shaking and his lip trembled. Caelum felt a strange that Peter was crying on his behalf. He felt strange that Peter was crying at all. “I thought you were dead, Cael.”

Caelum blinked and rubbed his throat. He winced, feeling the bruising easily. Peter kept talking, as if speaking to Caelum was a reminder that he was alive. “I just. . . I remembered what Mr. Collins said in health class and. . . you weren't breathing. . .”

Caelum a minute to process this. He vaguely remembered being in Ms. Collins’ health class in seventh grade. He remembered taking it with Peter ― and how annoying the experience was. He kept getting them in trouble.

“I just. . . I pinched your nose and breathed and―” Peter gave a helpless laugh. Caelum wasn't listening anymore. He sat up, gaping at Peter, his mouth ― which explained why it was so fucking sore ― gaping.

It took him awhile to process it. Peter saved his life. Peter gave him mouth to mouth.

Peter ― somewhat inadvertently ― kissed him.

The words made Caelum's world turn and tremble. What does he do now? What was he supposed to do?

Thank him? For what, though? Saving his life? Kissing him?

This was weird. This was wrong. Caelum was thinking too much into this. This was Peter. This was Peter. Peter didn't. . . He wouldn't. . .

No. No. No. Nuh-huh. Nope.

It felt wrong to Caelum. Peter didn't know he loved him. Peter saved his life ― he kissed him ― and had no clue that Caelum was helplessly in love with Peter.

Caelum realized that he had been sleeping and would never know what Peter’s lips felt like. A small, dark part of him wanted to go up to his father and punch him so he would strangle him again. That way, Peter would have a reason to kiss him again.

That was stupid, he chided. Stupid and self-destructive. He wouldn't do that. It probably wasn't worth getting killed over. And for a stupid reason like a kiss.

Cael?” Peter was calling him. He looked at him, his eyes settling on the boy’s pinkish-red lips that seemed to pop against the shade of his tanned skin. He wasn't exactly pale but he wasn't burnt either. He was a creamy colour, like white chocolate or sugar cookies.

Did his lips taste sweet?

“Cael?” He was spiraling again.

“Sorry―” he began to talk, but Peter raised a hand.