- 40 -

chapter forty:

“All rise. The presence of the flag of our country emblem of our constitution, remember the principles for which they stand. Department three of the superiour court is now in session, the Honourable Dakota Parrish judge presiding. Please be seated and come to order.”

Caelum sat awkwardly, moving his chair back with one arm, the other in a tight sling. The cut his father gave him exposed a major blood vessel, and he lost a lot of blood because of it. He had to get thirteen stitches and was ordered to wait while it healed.

The judge, Dakota Parrish, scratched the side of her face and spoke. “Good afternoon. Please state your names for the record.”

"Algol Caelum Forest,” Caelum spoke clearly.

Across from him, Principal Davis said, “Andrew Davis, the third." Caelum didn't look at him. He knew the man was sporting a head injury, but proved himself cognizant enough to appeal at the final hearing.

Caelum twisted his hands in his seat, breathing deeply, closing his eyes. He was fine, he reminded himself. Mr. Murdock said that it was practically an open and shut case.

Caelum wished Peter was beside him, he'd feel a lot better that way. He knew the boy had been in the seat directly behind him, so that thought comforted him a little.

This was the last one, Caelum reminded himself. Then they would be fine. The last one, the jury would put Principal Davis away for good and he and his brother's would be safe. His mother's soul could finally be put to rest.

He'd be able to breathe again.

“Has the jury come to a decision?” The judge asked and everyone's eyes shifted to the jury’s stand.

“Yes, your honour,” a man said, his face was covered from the nose down, he noticed. The man was watching him like a bug under a microscope.

“What is your decision?" His hair was covered by a conspicous hood, his eyes cold and calculating, and for a moment, a fleeting, stunning, terrifying moment, his mouth opened and no words came out, but Caelum knew what he was going to say.

“Not guilty, your honour."

His heart rose and fell, his arms shaking, tears in his eyes. He couldn't do this, he was so tired and Principal Davis had the biggest grin on his face. He rose from his seat, coming to Caelum.

“No, please," Caelum whispered, his body still trembling. He couldn't take this. He was going to die. He looked behind him, wanting to find Peter, wanting to hold his hand.

He wasn't there. Nobody was there.

He turned back around and Principal Davis was on top of him, pushing him to the ground. “No!" Caelum screamed, trying to back away, to get off the bed and run. “No! Please!" Principal Davis dragged him back under him, his mouth opening and laughter spilling through his lips, echoing in his skull.

Caelum couldn't breathe, he couldn't breathe. Principal Davis had him pinned down and was taking his clothes off and he couldn't breat

° · ° · ° · °

Cold water splashed his face. Caelum shot up, hitting his head on the wall and immediately fell down. “Whoa, whoa, it's okay, it's okay. I'm here, I got you,” Peter said, holding him tight, not letting go.

Caelum breathed hard, his burned skin throbbing and his head pounding where he hit it. Caelum focused on Peter. He had his arms wrapped around him tight, rubbed his side, pressing his cheek to his head. “. . . Peter," Caelum breathed, taking in his shea butter scent. “Peter. . .”

Possession < Spider-Man • Book 1 >On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara