- 38 -

chapter thirty-eight:

Caelum was terrified. He immediately began to regret bringing his father back. He could feel the man glaring at him as they walked. Caelum tried to show no emotion, but he couldn't help the restless tapping of his fingers, or his incessant shaking hands.

There wasn't much he could do. When his brothers got out, they would all go back to the apartment. He couldn't leave them alone ― although a small part of him certainly wanted to. There was no reasoning with his father. There was no stopping him.

So he kept walking. He walked right out of the hospital, feeling all the eyes of the staff on him. He walked to the train station, and walked to his seat beside his father's. He walked out, when it was his stop. His father halted him before they went to the apartment.

“I have things to do," he explained. “I'll be back later tonight. You'd better be here." Caelum had no reply.

He went to the apartment, using the key he had found in his things at Sarah and Dorri's. He opened the door and went to their room. Unsurprisingly, Peter had not come back yet. Caelum wished he was there ― he was so scared.

He knew he had options. He could leave, go to Peter's apartment. If May was there, she wouldn't mind letting him sit down and talk for awhile. But, he knew she would call the police if she thought his father was a threat and his father could not go to jail again.

He could go to Sarah and Dorri's place. They wouldn't ask questions and he could get some work time in. However, his father wanted him here and although he didn't really care much for that, if he caught him on the streets, he'd be in worse trouble. That, and Caelum didn't know if he knew he was staying with them. If he did, he didn't want to drag Sarah and Dorri into this. It wasn't their business and again, they would call the police.

Staying just seemed like the best option. While his father might be inconsolable on talking, he still had to try. And, if things got tough, his room had a lock on it and was near the fire escape. He'd be fine, for the most part.

Caelum spent hours sitting around until the sun finally fell and he heard the buzzer ring. He didn't have to think about who was there. He pressed the unlock button and gave his father access. A few minutes later, the door opened and he was there.

Caelum sat at the kitchen table, closest to the hall where his bedroom was. Beside him, the ghost and her blue bear watched in anticipation, the only witnesses to the event.

His father looked angry and. . . Caelum frowned, realizing what was wrong. He was drunk ― not all the way, but Caelum could tell he was a bit tipsy, but not enough to be incognizant. “Come here."

“I think it would be safer if we sat and talked,” Caelum said, still ready to leap out of his seat.

“Don't talk your smartass shit to me!" He growled. He stomped over and Caelum immediately jumped out of his chair, knowing exactly where this was going.

He ran to his room and shut the door, locking it behind him. He breathed for a minute, moving to sit down on his bed. His father would eventually tire himself out, probably go pass out on the couch. When he was sober and more reasonable, they could discuss plans for the future.

All of a sudden, the entire wall shuddered and Caelum heard a loud crack. He moved back as his father pushed the door, opening it completely. He kicked down the door.

Caelum could've shit himself in that instant.

Get up!" His father snapped, but Caelum didn't move because he was too busy staring at his fallen door.