- 26 -

chapter twenty-six:

The first thing Caelum did with this new epiphany of knowledge was go to Sarah and Dorri's. He planned as he cleaned and even more so as he got ready for bed.

He was going to go to police station, possess one of the police men, and force him to let him talk to Principal Davis. He needed to find out where his brothers were. He needed to get them back.

There were holes in this plan, obviously. Sarah and Dorri wouldn't let him out of their sight, but if he said he was going to school, they might be a bit more lenient. Then, there was this fact of not seeming suspicious, which he could do easily. He also had to get to the police station, and confirm whether or not Principal Davis was even there.

It had only been a two days and he knew that the police could hold him for at maximums of three days. Today would be his only chance. If Principal Davis wasn't there, he'd go to the Manhattan Detention Complex, which is where he heard an officer say it was likely he would be held. It would be harder to get in, but Caelum would manage it, and he would get the man to tell him where his brothers were.

He couldn't afford distractions, he had only a day to make this work, and he was running out of time. He went to sleep early so he could leave earlier than usual. The next morning, when he got up, he was surprised to see Peter on the couch, grinning at him.

“What are you doing here?” He asked, grabbing an apple. He couldn't have the boy here, not today of all days.

“I had a hunch,” he shrugged. “I thought you'd want some company today, if you're going to school. If you don't, I'm totally fine with it. I just―”

“Go to school, Parker,” Caelum dismissed him, biting into the apple, and Peter rose an eyebrow.

“Are you coming too?” He asked.

“I have work,” he lied.

“At seven AM?”

“I need a new job. I. . .” he hesitated, balancing the truth with his lie. “I was fired.”

“Fired!?” The news shocked him, and Caelum didn't blame him. “Why were you fired!?”

“Conflict of interest,” he said, lying even more.

“I'm so sorry, Cael,” Peter frowned, and Caelum gave a kind of small smile.

“Thanks, I appreciate it.” He continued to walk, but Peter didn't let up.

“How about I go with you?” Peter suggested, “To help you find a new job?”

Caelum sighed, rubbing his forehead. “No, go to school, you can't afford to miss anymore days.”

“Neither can you! Besides, Sarah and Dorri won't let you go anywhere by yourself, not since you disappeared on us.”

Caelum frowned, “I didn't willingly disappear,” he said, and Peter’s face fell, realizing what he said.

“Wait, I didn't mean it like that―”

“Just, go,” Caelum said, “I can handle myself.”

“No, I still want to come.” Caelum groaned, he was wasting time!

He threw his hands in the air and began walking, “Fine! Whatever! Just, no complaining and no questions!”

“Alright!” Peter grinned, significantly cheerier.

He followed Caelum out of the apartment and down these to steps. Downstairs, the Café was opening up, the usual morning visitors trickling in a few at a time. “Mornin’!” Sarah greeted, “You boys eat yet?”