- 4 -

chapter four:

Caelum arrived at classroom 112 at 3:30 PM, usually around the time he would be clocking in for work. He talked to a few of his colleagues at the shop and had someone cover his shift.

Caelum knew he was going to be joining the team ― he had no other choice in the manner ― but he wanted to see what it was like first before he was forced to actually spend his afternoons there. There was still the possibility of it becoming another ‘track meet’ and an open avenue to more time at work.

Caelum entered the classroom on time. He had his backpack full of work he had to finish. He was well aware of the time he was absolutely wasting being here, but decided not to verbalize it.

Inside the classroom, was a senior, Elizabeth, more commonly known as Liz, Allen. Beside her, was a African-transfer student he didn't know the name of, along with an Asian girl that was also a senior, a plus-size girl, and a shy looking freshman.

Mr. Harrington greeted him easily, “Hello! I'm glad you could join us! The rest of the group will be here soon!”

“Thank you for having me,” he replied, shaking his hand and forcing as much earnestness in his voice could muster.

Mr. Harrington rubbed his hands together in anticipation. “So, what brought you to take interest in the decatha-life?” The man asked and Caelum tried not to roll his eyes.

“My father was in it, in his high school years,” Caelum lied easily. “He thought it would be good if I had the same experience.”

Mr. Harrington bought it and smiled, “Sounds good! Sounds good! So, we're just studying now. It's not too late in the season for you to join us, but it may be more comfortable if you started as an substitute opposed to being on the main team,” Mr. Harrington explained. “Each team has nine members, but it would do well for a replacement if something were to happen.”

“Alright,” Caelum agreed, and Mr. Harrington began to introduce him to the other teammates as they filed into the room. The Asian girl was Cindy Moon, the African student was Abraham, or Abe, Brown. The plus-size girl introduced herself as Sally Avril, although she preferred being called Sal or Salv, and the shy boy was Timothy McKeever, who everyone called Tiny.

As Mr. Harrington was explaining the ins and outs of the Decathlon, two more students entered the room. One, was Michelle Jones, a questionable emo who usually kept to herself and made strange remarks. The other, was the very well known ― and just as easily, well despised ― Eugene Thompson, who went around calling himself ‘Flash' for no apparent reason.

Caelum introduced himself to those who had arrived on time ― or within a reasonable five-minute window of the time allocated. There were seven members so far, they were missing two.

The team had started practicing, going over their study guide for the topic ― this year, it was the Pacific Ocean. It was fifteen minutes into the practice when the door opened again. Caelum didn't turn to look at the last two ― he didn't entertain the attention of those seeking to waste other people's time.

Then, they spoke, “Sorry we're late,” Peter said. “We got held up by a teacher. Who's that?”

Caelum turned, frustration and anger swallowing him whole. Of course. Of course Peter Perfect Parker was on the decathlon team. Of course his father would want him to join the one extracurricular where he would have to spend an hour with the only person he hated more than anything in this world. Of course, it would be his luck!

Peter stared, dumbfoundedly at him and Caelum felt ready to bite his entire head off. “What are you doing here?”

“I am your new teammate,” Caelum said, his voice eerily calm and unsettling. He wanted to leave and smash his skull in a wall.