- 10 -

chapter ten:

Caelum immediately knew he was in trouble the minute he stepped foot in his house. Before he had even put his key in the lock, the door swung open. Caelum took a step back in surprise, but his father was faster. He grabbed him by the collar, yanking him in the house, and slamming the door shut behind them. Caelum gagged, as his father threw him to the floor, face-first, with a heavy thud.

He gasped, wincing, “Justice!” His mother exclaimed, but his father wasn’t done.

“Where the hell have you been!?” He growled, grabbing the front of his shirt, and Caelum felt his stomach twist suddenly, his eyes going wide.

School―” He started to say, but his father promptly smacked him across the head. He hit the ground again, barely managing to hold himself up.

“Bullshit!” He snapped. “You were on the news, that shooting in Target we saw you!”

Caelum’s heart was thudding against his chest, “I―We―”

“Called the damn school said nobody was holding a decathlon practice today!” His father continued. “Asked them about the track team, and they said that Algol Caelum Forest wasn’t on no goddamned track team!”

“I–I can explain,” He said, and his father scoffed, throwing him back on the ground. His elbows skidded against the wooden flooring.

“You’d better start explaining, boy!” Caelum flinched, trying to control his breathing. His father knew that he wasn’t on the track team, and he knew Caelum had been in the city.

Caelum started slowly, “We finished practice early. It wasn’t at at the school ― it was at a friend’s house, Ned Leeds. Everyone was there, I–I didn’t think you’d let me go if I said it wasn’t at school. I apologize for lying.”

“Then why the hell were you in the city?”

“We finished early, and a few of my teammates wanted to go Christmas shopping.” The lies began to slip off his tongue easily, “We took the subway and went to Target. Then, the shooting happened.”

Caelum and his father stared at one another, and he hoped his father couldn’t feel how fast his heart was beating. “I don’t believe you.” His stomach fluttered.

“Ask Peter,” Caelum said suddenly, “He was with us.”

“Peter Parker?” His mother spoke, surprised. “I didn’t know he went to Midtown.”

“He’s on a scholarship too,” Caelum explained. “It’s the partial one.”

“Fine,” His father hissed, and let Caelum go. “We’ll go downstairs ― you and me.” Caelum swallowed and gave a small nod. “And if I find out that you were lying―”

“I’m not lying―” His father hit him across the cheek. Caelum’s closed his eyes, holding his face.

Don’t interrupt me!” His father hissed. “You were lying, you told us you were at that school, we’ll discuss your punishment after we clear this up.” Caelum stared at his father, then turned to his mother, who averted her gaze, looking down at the floor, his arms crossed over her chest.

“Yes, sir,” Caelum murmured, and shakily stood. His father grabbed him by the shoulder, yanking him to his feet. Caelum winced, but stood anyway.

C’mon,” His father growled, and pulled him out of the apartment. Caelum walked down the steps quickly and pointed out Peter’s door. His father knocked loudly, and Caelum tried to stand straight.