- 17 -

chapter seventeen:

As soon as Caelum was able to get back on his feet, he was working again. It wasn’t financially stable for Mr. Goldson to pay him full time, so he was kindly advised through Austin to get another job. Caelum didn’t mind, he found a better paying job not far from the shop.

It was a small, deli/grocery ― which wasn’t hard to come by in the City ― called Delmar Deli-Grocery. It was almost like if Dollar Tree and Subway had an affair, but more friendly and homely. The owner, who everyone called Delmar ― and who the store was named after ―  was a older, hispanic gentleman. He was a kind guy, after Caelum got to know him.

When Caelum asked if he was hiring, he immediately looked suspicious. “How old are you, kid?”

“Sixteen,” Caelum lied. He wouldn’t be sixteen until May, but he didn’t need to know that.

“D’you have working papers?” He asked. It was a law in New York that anyone under the age of 18 had to have a working permit, and have papers signed by a parent/guardian.

Luckily, Caelum could forge his father’s signature and was skilled in the art of B.S.-ing his way to get what he wanted.

He handed it to the man along with a pre-written resume he typed up at a local library since he didn’t have a computer at home that he could so easily use privately.

Delmar read over it, raising an eyebrow. “You went to Midtown? The private school?”

“Yes, sir,” Caelum replied. “I recently had to drop out due to home issues. My father. . . left us and my mom will need more hands around our house.”

Delmar raised an eyebrow. “You know that’s a very expensive school,” he noted, frowning. “And a lot of opportunities for kids like you come from there.”

“I am well aware,” Caelum replied, trying to keep an annoyed look off his face from the infernal school. God, he hated that place. “I would continue my enrollment if issues hadn’t presented himself.” He paused for a minute, “My. . . family needs the money, and I can always return or homeschool myself. It is a loss, but not something I am unable to deal with.”

The biggest loss that came from dropping out of Midtown had been Peter. Despite Caelum’s anger and betrayal, he couldn’t keep himself mad for long. He missed Peter, he missed his smile and his laughter and his twinkling brown eyes.

But, he couldn’t return home ― Principal Davis knew where he lived ― and he couldn’t go to school. This, working full-time, was his only other option. “I admire that,” Delmar admitted, nodding to himself. “Shame you had to drop out of such a good school, but I understand why.” He gave a half-hearted smile. “You a family man ― I respect that. A guy who cares about his family is a good man. I’m sorry about your old man.” He glanced down at the papers in his hand, seemingly deciding on what he wanted to do. “You start on Monday, kid.”

Caelum smiled and shook the man’s hand, “Thank you, sir,” He said, trying not to sound relieved.

“First order of business,” Delmar said, taking his hand and rubbing his arm with the other. “No more ‘sir’s. I’m not that old ― call me Delmar.” Caelum did.

° · ° · ° · °

The first couple of weeks were trying, as Caelum tried to adjust to his new schedule. He’d wake up at 5:30 AM, go to the shop at six, leave at twelve. Then, he’d get to the Deli at one, and work until nine in the afternoon. Finally, he’d return to the bar, and start cleaning. He usually didn’t finish that until two AM. Afterwards, he’d get his financials together, make sure he was on track to help pay bills, before going to sleep. Then, he’d repeat.