- 37 -

chapter thirty-seven:

Caelum had no issue making it back to Sarah and Dorri's. He said hello and hugged both of them, helped them finish for the last couple hours of the night, then clean and pack up.

The entire time, Caelum couldn't stop thinking of Peter's comment. He didn't know if it was just flippant or sarcastic, or serious. But. . . the fact that he said it, that it came from Peter's lips. . . it kept him distracted all night long.

He wanted to call Peter back, sit him down, and talk about the use of the word ― boyfriends ― its implications and if they should name it public. If Caelum's father knew he had a boyfriend, if he was spending his time on something foolish and fleeting like love, he would kill Peter and then him. He already proved himself capable of it, Caelum could sometimes still feel the hands tightening around his throat. His useless, petty gagging for air, and his father's look of disappointment and disgust.

When Caelum thought about his plans for tomorrow and how he was going to bail his father out of jail, a part of him was scared. This man had nearly killed him ― twice ― and Caelum was going to willingly move back in with him? He was going to trust the lives of his brothers with his father? The thought scared him, and he didn't like the finality of what it brought. If he got his father out of jail, he probably won't be spending a lot of time with Peter, if any time at all.

This boy he had finally been able to have the chance to love and hold and kiss, would be blown away like dust. Caelum didn't know if he could let Peter go so easily. It was simpler, when Peter didn't know he loved him and Caelum inherently hated Peter because of it. Then, he could shut the boy off, like a light switch.

But now, Peter was more intricately involved in his life. Peter stayed by his side, despite his best and worst attempts to get him to leave.  He helped him, listened to him.

Peter had kissed him before Caelum had worked up the courage to even think to do it.

Caelum sighed, finishing wiping down the last time table. It had been a long day, his limbs ached and all he wanted to do was go lie down.

He said goodnight to Sarah and Dorri and made his way to the guest room. After getting undressed, he fell into his bed, shifting around a bit before closing his eyes.

° · ° · ° · °

Caelum was laying down flat, completely unable to move any limbs. He tried to look around him, confused. He didn't feel anything on his arms, he wasn't locked down, why couldn't he move?

Someone was coming up to his side, and Caelum looked over. Principal Davis was grinning down at him, a sneer on his lips and lust in his eyes. Caelum's heart dropped, and he opened his mouth to cry out, to beg, but nothing left his lips.

Principal Davis crawled on the bed, bringing his face down to Caelum's side. Shivers ran a marathon down his spine and he flinched, as the man touched him, breathing in his scent, kissing and licking his skin. He moved his hands up his shirt and Caelum tried to scream, tears coming to his eyes.

Principal Davis pulled his shirt off, and worked on his pants, which were loose on his body. They slipped off his unmoving legs easily and Caelum let out a silent sob.

The man turned him over, stomach to the bed under him. He tasted and sucked on his neck while he undid his own clothes. Finally, he tossed the pants away, and whispered in Caelum's ear.

“Mr. Forest. . . you should've killed me when you had the chance.”

° · ° · ° · °