- 19 -

chapter nineteen:

When Peter returned with two coffees and a hot tea, Mr. Goldson had been pleased. When Peter revealed that he knew more engineering and fixing cars, Mr. Goldson pleasantly approved. He clapped Caelum on the back as he lifted a few boxes to the work station.

“You bring in more boys who like to work for free,” He said heartily before escaping into the office.

While Peter was sliding into good graces with everyone, Caelum was far from amused. He asked Austin or Caelum what needed to be done. At first, Austin would give him a job ― spot Caelum as he tightened the valves, run the engine as Caelum fixed the motor ― but when he realized that Peter’s knowledge of cars was on par with Caelum’s he gave him more complex tasks. It wasn’t dangerous, but nothing a beginner would be comfortable with doing.

Peter, however, was more than in his element, and he made it known to Caelum too. He laughed, told jokes, spoke at rapid-fire speeds. Caelum tried not to look amused ― he had a job that needed to get done ― but he couldn’t help smiling to himself or shaking his head. He would catch glances at the boy when his back was turned, easily averting his gaze before Peter caught on.

This was an issue ― Peter was distracting him. He needed to stop ― he needed to go. But, to voice his complaints in the earshot of Austin or Mr. Goldman was dangerous. Mr. Goldman liked Peter and Austin would annoy him until he brought the boy back.

So, much like decathlon, Caelum simply ignored him. He did his work quietly and efficiently, blocking out all of the noise, the laughter, the distraction that Peter brought with him. If he simply kept to himself, he could get over this. Peter had to go to school tomorrow and everything would be back to normal.

Caelum seemed to forget how tired he had been that morning and that he was running on twenty minutes of sleep. He was exhausted, and his body wasn’t all that quiet about it. His head was pounding and his eyes kept zoning in and out.

His hand loosened on the wrench, his body falling forward as he leaned inside the car. “Cael?” Peter was inside the car, hanging outside the door to see him. Caelum shot back up, stumbling back. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” he said, stifling a yawn. Peter didn’t seem to buy it, though.

He looked across the room to Austin, who was wiping his hand on an already dirty towel. “Hey, Austin, can Cael take a break?”

Austin nodded, “Thirty minutes.” Peter grinned, and stood straight, going to Caelum’s side.

“I can’t take a break,” Caelum frowned. He couldn’t afford a ‘break’. Peter pouted and tugged on his arm, his twinkling eyes going round again. His lips turned up in an adorable pout and his eyebrows scrunching up. Caelum looked away, pressing his lips tight stubbornly.

“Take a break, Caelum,” Austin ordered, and Caelum looked at him, annoyed.

Austin―”

“You work hard enough. Go.” His tone left no room for argument. Caelum let out a half-sigh, half-groan.

Peter interpreted this noise as a yes and proceeded to drag him out of the shop. Caelum barely had time to put back on his coat and take his toolbelt off. “We can’t be out forever,” Caelum warned, but Peter didn’t seem to worry.

Caelum followed him down the street as Peter walked eagerly. Unlike the people walking around them, Peter was ecstatic. He walked happily, grinning that sunny smile to the people who passed them. If Peter wanted to, he could smile the snow away.