- 12 -

chapter twelve:

The winter break was actually refreshing for Caelum. He finished his work early, it was a lot, but it had only taken him a few days. He told his parents that there were more ‘decathlon practices’ at Ned’s house. His father didn't believe him at first, but after confirming it with Peter ― who consistently lied for him, and Caelum didn't even have to possess him to get it right ― his father didn't mind.

Caelum spent four whole days in the shop, racking up as many hours as he could before the start of the new year. Then, he would be reduced to only two, but Caelum found a solution for this.

There was a bar, a few buildings down from Caelum's apartment. The owner, Fred Hills, was a tough older man. Caelum proposed that he could come during the night and clean off the tables and sweep the floor. Mr. Hills agreed, and he would pay him twenty-five dollars every day he worked.

Caelum would slip out of his room after dinner, around eleven o’clock and head down to the bar. After consistently cleaning and sometimes helping to serve drinks when it got busy. He would finally be done around 4 or 4:30 in the morning.

Mr. Hills was a bit concerned for him, Caelum was a hard worker and He got the job done easily, but because of this, he wasn't getting much sleep. Caelum could compensate during the break by sleeping until nearly noon that next morning, but when school would come back around he wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

Caelum decided not to think about that and continued to work. He took off for Christmas, because his family would be out of town, but for the rest of the two weeks he either spent his time at the bar or at the shop.

Another downside from working at the bar was that it put a permanent end to his ‘Midnight Talks’ with Peter. Caelum claimed he didn't like them, but he also found it comforting to talk to someone for a few hours. To wind down and be himself. He wouldn't have that anymore, But it wasn't like he could give up his new job. Peter would have to be put aside in order for him to keep the money consistent. Then, he would have to visit Principal Davis less and he would be able to breathe.

It felt like the new year came too fast. Everyone was chattering, ‘New Year, New Me’, and making goals that they would never be able to fulfill. Caelum put his stuff in his locker, pulling out what he would need for his first couple periods.

Then, a skinny pale mass wrapped his arms around his neck, “Cael! I feel like I haven't seen you in forever!” Caelum went stock still. He felt Peter's newly defined muscles press against his skin, his warmth leeching onto his own. Once again, certain things made an appearance when Caelum seriously wanted them not to.

He slowly moved Peter away, “Parker?” He said slowly, watching the elated boy curiously. Was he high? He had been smiling, but his eyes were narrowed in warning.

“He’s behind you, two lockers down. Ned’s distracting him, let's go,” Caelum didn't need to be told twice.

Caelum grabbed his bag and turned the other away, walking quickly down the hall, and past Principal Davis. “Thank you,” Caelum breathed, gripping his bag tight.

“That's what friends are for,” Peter nudged. They were about to ascend the staircase ― the same one Caelum pushed Peter down a few months ago ― when Ned rejoined them. His face was reddened from running, but he had a killer smile on his face. When they joined him, they began to walk again.

“Operation: Protect C is completed,” Ned announced.

Caelum rose an eyebrow, slightly annoyed, “'Protect C'?