- 36 -

chapter thirty-six:

Caelum didn't know that Principal Davis was being kept in the same hospital as his brothers, but when he realized that the was, a sick feeling fell in his gut. Of course, the man was unconscious and only living off of the machines of his life support, breathing and living for him.

Caelum stared at the man, his head was bandaged with thick white gauze and a bit of red peeking through. His fingers were raw, probably from him trying to claw himself off to stop himself from doing what Caelum ordered. He wore the generic white medical gown, his fat belly rising and falling periodically. His eyes were closed and there was a respirator on his face.

This was the man that tortured him, hurt him in ways he could never forget, ruined the life of his family and probably others.

This was the man that killed his mother.

“Go ahead, kill him." The British man in the corner prompted.

Caelum stared at the man, blinking several times, unable to find his words for a moment, bit he realized that his body hadn't moved. Although the man had given an order, he didn't mean it, like he did with the rest. He was letting him decide.

Did he want to kill him?

It wouldn't be hard, Caelum knew. He saw the outlet where the man’s respirator was hooked up to. All he would have to do is unplug it, and then Principal Davis would be out of his life forever.

Yet, Caelum couldn't kill him.

Every urge in his body begged to unplug the man, and stab him in the chest over and over and over again.

Yet, Caelum couldn't kill him.

Every muscle wanted him to suffer, like he suffered. Truly give him a taste of his own medicine.

Yet, Caelum couldn't kill him.

He hated people like this ― the vigilantes, the heroes. He hated the ones who took justice into their own incapable hands. That was exactly why Caelum hated this power of his. It was useful, yes, but he hated it. Superheroes aren't heroes, they're cowards. They hide behind masks, fight the evil of the night unknown that they are the ones who cause it. Ultron, Loki, all of those evils, all of the hate and terror. They're all caused by heroes. Men pretending to be gods because they believe it is their right now that they have power to change lives and shape the future for all of humanity.

Caelum wouldn't kill this man, because at the end of the day, he was a man. He was a disgusting, venomous, ugly, terrible, hideous man, yes, but a man nonetheless. He didn't deserve death because Caelum deciding his death would be denying his mother's justice, his brother's justice, his justice.

This horrendous man wouldn't die, not in his sleep, but a slow, painful death, rotting and forgotten in a prison cell, hopefully getting the same treatment he gave him. If Caelum killed now, it would cause more issues for him in the future, than solve them.

“No, sir."

“Pardon me?"

“No, sir. I won't kill him."

What? What about your brothers?"

“This man deserves justice,” Caelum explained. "Not death.”

"I'm giving you a choice,” the man snapped, coming to his side. "I'm not controlling you, and you would rather your brothers die than this man, who―”