- 27 -

chapter twenty-seven:

“I never touched him,” Caelum said firmly as he stared at the two police officers in front of him. One was standing, leaning over the table, aggravated, while the other sat calmly. Their name tags read Watson and York respectively.

“Then why would Davis ask you to stop?” Officer Watson demanded.

“I don't know, but I never touched Principal Davis. I simply asked where my brothers were. He was the one who beat himself up.”

“That makes no sense, kid,” Officer York frowned. “You weren't even supposed to be in the same room as the man, why would he do that to himself?”

“I don't know,” Caelum sighed, “Maybe he felt guilty for what he did. Maybe he was begging God for forgiveness. You'll have to ask him.”

“I would, but the man is in a coma,” Watson snapped. Caelum's eyebrow twitched, he didn't know he did that much damage.

“That's not my problem,” Caelum frowned. “I'm sorry, but I'm not responsible for what inflicted wounds Principal Davis did to himself but me being in the same room as him was purely coincidental.”

The officers looked at each other, angry and frustrated. “Can I go, now?” He asked, he wanted to look at the place they said. He had to find his brothers.

“You're not going anywhere until we get some answers,” Watson snapped.

Caelum glared at the man for moment before schooling his expression and sitting up straight. “All right then, sir. Is that all?”

“What about Mahoney?” York asked. “Why was he unconscious when we found you.”

“You'll have to ask him about his physical state and health status,” Caelum shrugged. “I can't tell you a damn thing.”

“Listen here, kid,” Watson leaned across the table, Caelum felt his heart beat rise, expecting to get hit. He leaned away as far as he could with his hands cuffed to the table, but the second one held his arm, pulling him back.

“Andrew Davis beat the shit out of you,” York stared clearly, as if reading the weather report. “Then, he fucked you, inside and out. You experience this for nearly a year on a weekly basis, at least. Why would you even want to be in the same room as him?”

“I had to find my brothers.”

Officer York jumped at him, his hands outstretched for his throat, and he pulled away, his eyes wide, “No! Please!” He begged immediately, the words slipping out of him before he could process them. The handcuffs rubbing at the skin on his wrists, probably making them bleed.

His hands never even made it close to him. He moved back, watching his scared form as he tried to get himself to breathe again. “You're scared, Algol. You're scared of him.”

Caelum wasn't listening anymore, he could feel his hands tightening around his throat. He choked back tears and closed his eyes for a minute, trying to breathe. “Jesus, Calvin,” Officer Watson muttered. “Give the kid a heart attack, why don't you?”

“He was a threat to you,” he continued, ignoring his partner. “He claimed to have your mother murdered, so you attacked him. Was it revenge, Algol? Anger?” Caelum didn't say anything, he stared at his hands, tired ― he was so tired.

“I never touched him,” he said softly.

“Did you hurt him?”

“I never touched Principal Davis.”