- 18 -

chapter eighteen:

Eventually, Peter had to go back to school ― Caelum didn’t even know how he got out, that school was like a fortress. He didn’t get out of the Deli until nearly ten PM because there was a lot more cleaning to do, but Caelum didn’t mind.

Caelum said goodbye to Delmar and Murph, before leaving the store. He put his sunglasses on so he didn’t possess anybody as he walked. However, they were quite useless when someone pushed him down and dragged him into an alley.

Caelum grunted, his head slamming against the concrete, seeing stars for a minute. He didn’t get the chance to recover. His attackers began to kick him, in the side, in the neck, in the legs. Caelum curled up, trying to protect himself, but it was no use. He was lucky they didn’t have bats or 2x4s.

He heard a wish and someone landing on the ground with a thud. “That’s not very nice,” A familiar voice commented. His attackers turned to the new guy and began to run away, someone trying to reach into Caelum’s pocket.

His greed was his mistake. The new guy attacked. He heard a loud wish, someone running, and indistinct shouting. In minutes, everything was quiet again, as it had been when he was walking home. “Hey, are you all. . .” The guy trailed off, and Caelum turned to look up at him. His busted, swollen face fell as he saw his saviour ― Spider-Man.

“. . . Shit,” Caelum swore, turning to get away. His sides ached, but Caelum didn’t think about it.

Wait!” Spider-Man called after him, trying to catch his arm. Caelum yanked it away and glared at the guy.

“Get away from me,” Caelum snapped. This masked idiot brought nothing but trouble ― why was he out so late at night anyway? He didn’t have time to ponder his sleep schedule — Caelum was late to his shift at the bar. He had to hurry if he was going to make it back on time.

He turned, looking around for the sunglasses, his eyebrow furrowed, scrutinizing the dirty concrete. “Are you looking for these?” Spider-Man held up the sunglasses, Caelum stood straighter.

“Yes, those are mine,” he held out his hand, waiting for him to hand it over.

Instead, Spider-Man tilted his head to the side, “What do you need sunglasses for ― it’s nighttime and it’s February.”

“That’s none of your business. Give it back,” Caelum couldn’t go home without them ― he might end up possessing someone and get them hurt.

“They’re really dark,” Spider-Man remarked. “It’s no wonder these guys jumped you. They probably thought you were blind.” It was a joke how he said it, but neither of them laughed.

“I need to get home,” Caelum said again. “Give me my glasses.” Spider-Man looked at him, and handed them to him. Caelum snatched it away and quickly shoved them on his face. Immediately, the glasses were yanked away, and back in Spider-Man’s grip. Now, they had a line of white webbing hanging off the lense. Caelum twitched in anger and irritation.

“You can’t wear these ― what if you don’t see something coming at you?” Spider-Man asked, disapprovingly.

Caelum was getting annoyed. “Are you trying to harass me?” He asked dubiously. “Because, for someone who likes to ― what is it? Keep Queen's safe? You’re doing a shitty job right now. I have to get home and you’re holding me up. Give me my glasses and leave me alone.”

“It’s not safe to―”

“I don’t remember asking you if you believed it was ‘safe’ or not,” Caelum snarled, anger creeping up on him. Suddenly, weeks of agitation, malnutrition, and sleep-deprivation was tempted to emerge. Caelum forced it down, but couldn’t get rid of the scowl on his face.