"Majesty, it appears the horses are ready." My heart leaped, and my stomach felt as though an entire field of butterflies fluttered about inside.

She put down her book and stood. "Ladies, it's time to leave."

The stood excitedly, babbling and giggling. The prospect of a single king and his entire court seemed to be overwhelming. I searched the drive from the window one last time before heading to the horses for my king to no avail. He had left the castle in the cover of darkness, staying at a nearby nobleman's home until the meeting with Francis.

Queen Claude stopped at the entrance of her chambers and turned to face us. "Ladies, you will be on your best behavior in front of King Cassius and his court. I expect nothing but the best from my ladies-in-waiting. Anything less will be met with harsh punishment."

"Yes, Majesty," We said in unison.

They remained quite longer than I expected them to. The closer we got to the entrance of the castle their chatter grew louder. I wanted to be giddy with them.

Thankfully Calais was only a day's travel from the palace of Fontainebleau by horse. My black mare pawed the ground, anxious to stretch her legs. There wasn't much time for leisurely riding most days and she'd always been anxious. I rubbed her neck looking around to see if maybe Cassius was hidden amongst the gentlemen already here.

Claude placed a hand on my shoulder. "He's not here just yet. Relax, Joselyn. Enjoy the ride and have fun."

"Fun?"

Claude laughed. "Yes, your duties don't start yet. Enjoy riding Sable. Tonight and tomorrow be sure to dance, eat, and be merry while you still can be just a lady and not an assassin."

I nodded and mounted my horse. There were so many people.

"Are you ready to see him again?" Claire asked, nudging her chestnut mare next to me.

"Huh?" I asked turning to look at her.

Her dark locks hung in curls about her shoulders, framing her delicate face.

"Are you ready to see the king?"

"Oh, I suppose. It has been quite some time."

"How close were you?" she questioned.

"We grew up together. At least until I came to court."

"What do you know about him?"

"Clarice, I don't know what he is looking for in a wife if that is what you are asking?"

She huffed and turned the horse's reigns, "What good are you for?"

I rolled my eyes and took my position behind Queen Claude.

"She is quite the pleasant lady."

"I don't care who Cassius marries, as long as it isn't her. I may be tempted to push her off a balcony myself."

A small giggle came from the queen who quickly put her hand to her mouth to stifle it. "I'm sure the king will find a much more suitable wife."

"I certainly hope so."

Drums beat as the King's Guard moved out ahead of us. A bunch of his hounds ran about, barking and jumping, just as excited for the journey as we were.

Only a day and a half until I would be an assassin and not a trainee.

I heard a laugh a few rows behind. Glancing back, I saw Anastasia riding alongside Jonathan. She reached out and brushed her hand on his arm. As she did, my eyes met his. Who would have thought such things would hurt do deeply.