Thirty Four: Gods and Men

Start from the beginning

Vali scoffed again.

Bucky steps over and seated himself. His features are just as dark in the dim lamp light. "I just wanted to know what the plan is... being gods and all that." he waved his hand. "What's the go?"

"I say we bust up in there and take what is ours." Vali firmly gritted through teeth.

Sigyn's eyes widened a portion. "Who taught you that language? You are a prince, speak like one." she asked.

Vali shrugged. "It is what father would say."

"Your father does as I say - because he loves me - and he would not say that." she corrected.

"Your husband?" Bucky drew out carefully. "You're married?"

"I have been betrothed for centuries." she emphasised. "Not an easy feat, I know."

Bucky licked his lips and chuckled. "Oh. I don't know anyone who has been married for that long. Especially in our time."

"You mortals do live rather shortly." she said.

Vali looked between his mother and Bucky Barnes. He narrowed his eyes on the Sergeant, his lips thinning. "It's quite a funny story actually." he then said.

Bucky turned to look at him, brows raised. "Oh?"

"How my mother and father came to be, you see." Vali pointed at his mother. He watched as Bucky glanced at Sigyn and back again, eager to hear the story. "She was originally betrothed to my uncle, the first son of Odin. But my father, being the younger prince, fell in love with my mother. So on the wedding day he - tricked everyone! He disguised himself as my uncle and married my mother instead."

"A story for the ages. The bards and poets still sing of it till the day." Sigyn added, smiling down at her hands.

Bucky let out a chuckle. "Sounds romantic."

"Then come along my two beautiful sons." Sigyn leaned forward to tap Vali's knee. His smile dropped quickly and his eyes averted. He put his jaw into both hands and his knee started to jump up and down.

Bucky looked at Vali concerned. "You didn't tell me you had a brother?" he tried to smile. "Where is he, if he is as half as good as you..." Bucky stopped talking. Vali's knee continued to jump and he turned his head away. He nodded looking forward, clapping both hand between his knees.

Sigyn sighed softly.

"What was his name?" Bucky's voice filled the silence.

"Narvi." she replied, with a soft smile at his name. "He was the delight of the Realm. A sweet and kind boy. Loved by all." Just speaking about him made her heart ache in a kind of way which told her she doesn't really know pain. Not even in the slightest until she spoke his name. A pain which left you feeling open and empty and lying awake at night with no tears to shed. It was a mothers pain.

"I'm sorry to hear."

Sigyn gave a heartfelt laugh and waved him off. She dapped a finger to the corner of her eye. "You do not need to be."

Silence.

"What, uh, what happened? If you don't mind me asking."

More silence. Sigyn gave a smile. "He was taken from us too soon." was her response. "For now, we have a mission at hand which we must focus on."

Bucky nodded. "Uh, sure." he turned his eyes to Vali. "What will happen after you're done here? Will you stay and fight or do you have to go back and do godly things?"

Vali chuckled at him. "No, I will stay and fight." he said. "I have fought many wars on Midgard and I am sure I will fight the wars to come."

"Well," sighed Bucky. "Let's hope there are no more wars. They are a terrible thing."

"Yes, they are."

Sigyn was a product of wars past. She shook hands with war as no stranger, but as an old friend, she new war well. She knew the secrets, the tactics, and the casualties. They are all around her on this battlefield right now. All these young men sent away to fight; they are the casualties. A necessary sacrifice, she often remembers the men of the council saying.

But when the war came to their doorsteps they fled and hid like cowardice birds during a storm. Sigyn remembers as a little girl watching from her window once as the night sky above Vanaheim was alight with thunderous war cries and blasts of energy. And from way down where she watched they looked like little sparks of light above until she was carried away by her brother.

"At first light we will move on this Nazi base." Sergeant James, explained, with a whisper. "For now, get some rest." he instructed and doused the lamp. Soft moonlight aroused them like soft fingers. Her son follows Bucky out from the tent and she listens until their footfalls cannot be heard anymore and the dead of night rings in her ears.

Sigyn lays down on the cot pulling the rough woollen blanket up to her chin and she closed her eyes.

And gunfire went off.