49| Shoot The Puck

Artemi

Today was a big big day for so many reasons. For one, it was the home opener for the 2016-2017 season. And I would be lying if that was the most important part of tonight.

Tonight Valerie was a honorary guest to do shoot the puck. Now, that I had nothing to do with that. Her story has become the biggest news story of the year and Chicago is proud to call her their own, even if she is from a small town in Indiana. So the organization reached out to her and asked her to come do a few interviews and shoot the puck between the second and third periods. She easily agreed to do it and that made what I needed to do a little bit easier.

She pulls on her Panarin jersey and fixes her hair to her liking. She applied a little make up and sprays on perfume before turning to me.

"How do I look" she asks.

"Beautiful... like always" I assure her and she starts to blush.

I grab her and we head to the United Center. I do all the opening night festivities like the red carpet and pre-game interviews before heading into the locker room. I change into my pads and uniform and stand at my locker. I see the ring box sitting in there and let out a long sigh.

"Which are you more nervous for? To propose or play the game" Artem asks me and I laugh.

"Easily proposing" I admit. "I've played many of games in my life, it's natural to me. But if done right, proposing comes only once. And to do it on this stage, to say I'm nervous is a understatement" I laugh.

"You'll be fine. We're all on your side" he assures me.

"I'm going to need all the help I can get" I admit.

The first two periods fly by and it quickly comes time for me to make a big boy move. I fix my helmet hair so it doesn't look terrible and grab the ring box that was sitting in my locker. I feel someone tap my shoulder pads and see Jonathan smiling at me.

"Good luck out there" he says and I laugh.

"Thanks" I smile.

I head down the tunnel and stand at the end of it. They were going to have the other two contestants in shoot the puck go first. So I wait there until it was Valerie's turn and take a deep breath. I pray that everything turns out as it is supposed to and let the universe take over the rest.

"Our last contestant tonight is a fan favorite. She is a huge Blackhawks fan and has made quite a name for herself. It is my pleasure to introduce Ms. Valerie Walker" the announcer says and she waves to the crowd. Most of the people stayed out to watch her shoot the puck. I was kind of hoping most of them would have gotten a beer or some food but to no surprise, Val was more important than that stuff.

She shoot the first puck and it sails a little wide. I make my way out there and I hear some people gasp. She looks up and smiles when she sees me skating over to her. I wrap my arms around her as soon as get to her and she laughs.

"What in the world are you doing" she asks.

"I had to come help my girl shoot the puck" I claim.

I place her hands where they should be and position her feet correctly. I give her some pointers before she shoots it. The puck sails down the ice and into the far right hole.

She jumps up to celebrate before turning to me. She gives me one of those "did you see that" faces and I laugh. I pull her into a kiss and she stands as tall as she can.

"I did it" she cheers.

"You did great" I say. "Now you have to hit it in that hole" I say pointing to it.

"How am I supposed to do that" she laughs.

"I'll help you" I assure her.

I get her all set up again and she takes the first shot that hits the board. She takes the second shot and it got closer.

"Hey, look at me" I say. "Don't look for the hole. Know where it is but don't look at it. Just shoot the puck as hard as you can and aim for the middle of the crease" I tell her and she nods.

She winds up and got some good flex on the stick. The puck flies down the ice and into the hole straight to the net. The crowd goes wild as she throws her stick in the air. I laugh as she turns to me with her arms open and I open mine too. She jumps into my arms and I hug her tight.

"You're so amazing. You know that right" I ask

"Couldn't have done it without you" she smiles.

A moment later the lights dim and a video comes up on the big board. A video starts and I set her down.

"What is this" she asks.

"Watch" I encourage.

I found a video montage of some of the moments Valerie and I have spent together on YouTube and decided to play it. One of her fans made this and I messaged them and asked if I could steal this which they happily agreed to. I sent them some Blackhawks and some of her merch in appreciation. It was basically a two minute video of our best on screen moments, which was a lot. There was a lot of little videos she uploaded to twitter or Instagram and of course some clips from her viral videos. There was some other pictures of us and it was basically a really cheesy flip a gram. The song was You Raise Me Up because that was our song after all.

The video ends and it was finally time. I get down on one knee and they shine a spotlight on me and Valerie. She turns to me to say something but her mouth hangs open once she realized what happened. The crowd gets loud as I open the ring box. Valerie smiles as bright as ever as she stares at me.

"Valerie Taylor Walker. You are by far the best thing that could ever happen to me. I cannot imagine spending the rest of my life with anyone that isn't you. So that's why I'm on my knee, scared as hell trying to find the words to say. So I'm just going to say it.

Val... will you marry me" I ask and she nods her head.

"Yes" she says softly and I smile.

I move her promise ring and place the new ring next to it. They looked really good together and I'm happy she could keep the promise ring because I knew she loved that thing.

I stand up and pull her into a kiss. She grabs my face as she pulls me down.

"I love you so much" she whispers on my lips.

"I love you most."