1| Neighbors

Valerie

"Okay Val, you're almost done with your treatment" the doctor says and I slowly nod my head. I inhale sharply as the needle continues to pump somebody else's blood into my veins. I feel the fresh and healthy bone marrow being injected into my body and squeeze my eyes tight. This never does get any easier.

Just as quick as it started the needle was being pulled out of my arm and I let out a long sigh. The doctor puts a hello kitty bandaid over the injection sight before checking my vitals to make sure my body was accepting everything correctly.

"You're all set" he announces as he puts my clipboard away and I give him a big smile.

"Thank you Dr. Miller" I say and he laughs dryly.

"You don't have to thank me every time you come in for a treatment Ms. Walker" he says. "If I was you I would be saving my breath."

"I appreciate what you do for me so I kind of do" I tease and he just shakes his head.

"You're welcome Ms. Walker. As always, it was a pleasure seeing you" he claims. "Hopefully you'll start feeling better soon."

"I sure hope so too" I smile.

I head out to my car and start it up. I sit there for a little and let my head stop spinning. I've been doing bone marrow transplants my whole life and I never do get used to it. Once the pain was tolerable I drive from the hospital over to my apartment high up in the city in the heart of Chicago. I walk in to the building and say hi to the bellman in the lobby. Also one of the very very few friends I have.

"Good afternoon Valerie" he says leaning over the desk he was occupying.

"Good afternoon Henry. How are you today? Need any help with your psychology homework again" I offer.

"I'm good. And I think I got it this time. You know my professor reads your stuff and watches your videos so she knows when you help me" he tells me and I laugh.

"At least I'm consistent" I defend.

"That you are" he agrees.

I start to head to the elevator but I get stopped.

"Wait" Henry yells running up to me. He's cautious not to touch me but to still get my attention. "I forgot to tell you that there's a guy moving in next to you" he claims.

"Oh really" I gasp. I've lived here for over two years and I've never had a neighbor.

"Yeah. He's apparently a big deal in the sports world" he claims.

"So I wouldn't know him" I say and he laughs.

"Yeah, probably not" he admits.

"Well thank you for letting me know" I nod. "I'll make sure to help him feel welcomed."

I take the elevator up to the top floor of the building and turn to exit. I go to walk out but run right into someone, and hard. I nearly hit the ground but the stranger stops me from pancaking myself onto the ground. But I land on the ground safely before kind of laughing at myself.

"Oh my god, I am so sorry" a deep voice says and I laugh a little. There was a thick Russian accent laced in his admittedly attractive voice and that made this situation that much more interesting.

"That was totally my fault. I'm not used to someone else being up here" I admit as he helps me find my feet again after I grab my phone.

"Here. Let me help you up" he insists.

I look up and am met with a pair of beautiful blue eyes. The prettiest pair of eyes I've ever seen on a man. He had hand fulls of brown curly hair on top of his head and a little bit of a beard on his chin. He had a cute button nose and a really really nice smile. The kind of smile that made you feel... good.