16| Don't Leave

Valerie

I go in to the hospital for my usual check up and to talk to my doctors. They never did figure out what was wrong with me before, but I've been trying to be extra cautious so whatever it is, it doesn't escalate. Like usual they run a lot of tests to see if any of the clinical things they are trying are working and I wait non too anxiously for the results. I wasn't expecting them to find a cure, I did my research and I've seen many specialists in my lifetime. I didn't want to get my hopes up but I also didn't want to live in my apartment anymore either.

Eventually the doctor comes back, but he wasn't his usually bubbly self. He looked a little down and that made my chest tighten. This is exactly like last time when something was off, but this felt a little bit more serious.

"Is everything okay" I ask.

"I'm afraid not" he claims and I swallow hard.

"What's going on" I wonder.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but we need to admit you to the hospital for a little while" he claims and my heart drops.

"Why" I whisper.

"Your organs look like they're starting to reject the donated blood totally, which means your body hasn't been fighting off any of the bacteria. That's why you've been feeling weird but we couldn't find anything, because the problem wasn't your blood but your organs. We found many different infections that are starting to attack your organs and quietly shut them down. That's why you feel tired and uneasy, your organs are starting to stop working without you knowing it. If we treat you now you'll be fine. But this is dangerous for a person with antibodies, let alone someone who doesn't have any. I'm a bit concerned about your current state" he admits.

"Is this because I've been around someone a lot" I ask.

"I can't say that's it" he claims.

"But you can't say it's not that either" I finish.

"Precisely. This kind of thing happens to people in your position all the time, it's just... it's going to set back your treatment for a while. At least until you're better" he insists.

"And when is that" I ask.

"Hopefully a week, maybe more. This is very very important that we get you treated now" he insists.

"Okay" I slowly nod.

I get checked in to the hospital and they run some more tests before deciding what to do with me. My phone vibrates on the table and I ignore it at first. But then it goes off again and again and again and I let out a long groan.

I reluctantly grab my phone to see a bunch of texts from Artemi.

How was your doctors appointment?
Is everything okay?
When are you going to be home? I miss you!
Are you ignoring me? Is it because I watched Pitch Perfect 2 without you?

I roll my eyes and text him back.

You watched Pitch Perfect 2 without me? Asshole.

I set my phone to the side again and the doctor comes in. They schedule a mri to look at organs and the state they're in. They're hoping to just clean my blood out and get some new blood with antibodies in it and it'll fix the organs themselves. But if the organs are damaged there's a lot more procedures and tests that would need to be done.

Right before I go in for my mri my phone goes off again. But this time it wasn't a text, it was a call.

"Is that your boyfriend" the nurse asks as she unhooks my IV so I can be wheeled down to a different wing.