32| Family Matters

Valerie

Every test that they have ever had to test out a organ... I've had it. I mean I can't even say half of these procedures or machines let alone tell you what they should do. All I know is this is what I need to do to get better. So let them stick me with needles and test my blood, they can do as many mris and cat scans as they want. If this is what it takes... if this means I'm finally getting somewhere... then there is no place I would rather be than in this hopsital.

Well... I guess that's a lie. There's a lot of places I would rather be than his hospital. But I can't go there unless I get through here, so that's what I had to do.

"God... how do you eat this crap" Travis asks me as he stabs his bland applesauce with a spoon.

"I don't have much of a choice" I scoff.

"Still. You should bring some seasoning to your room and use it" he claims.

"I think I have bigger things to worry about than bland applesauce" I claim.

"I think you're right" he agrees.

We sit in my hospital room and eat lunch and I have to admit, I missed my family. For the longest time they were the only people I talked to and hung around with, the  all of the sudden I never saw them. Naturally I was tired of my annoying older brothers and over protective parents, but now that I'm older I am so thankful for them. My parents gave up so much to give me what little quality of a life I have. I wanted to thank them a million times over but there isn't a thing I can do to properly thank them. The amount of time and money they put in me, it's insurmountable. And to think that after all of this stuff we have been through as a family, that there might be a end to it. Well that's the greatest feeling in the world.

After we finish lunch I go for some more testing. My brothers play on the XBOX Artemi set up in my room that he plays when I'm out somewhere. He has been training some in the mornings and would be back later on today.

After the morning round of blood giving and other things that don't need to be discussed I was done for the day. I get back to my room to see Artemi sitting there by himself. He had a huge grey sweatshirt on and was sitting kind of facing the wall. The doctors ignore it and continue on with their day as he sits there quietly.

"What did you do" I ask as the nurses close my door behind them. 

His jacket starts to bark and my eyes go big.

"Artemi" I whisper as he smiles at me. He opens up his jacket and I see Rafiki stick his head out of the jacket.

As soon as he sees me he jumps out of Artemi's lap and into the bed. He frantically tries to get to me before I catch him. I pull him into my chest and let him give me kisses. My fingers run through his freshly groomed fur as I hold him tight.

"Oh man... I've missed you so much" I coo as I hold him close.

I turn to Artemi as he smiles at me.

"Did you just sneak my dog into a hospital so I can see him" I ask.

"I did" he smirks.

"God... what did I do to deserve such a great boyfriend" I sigh.

"I think you've done enough" he insists.

"There's not a thing I could do that would lead me to believe that I would ever be great enough to deserve you" I admit.

"I know the feeling" he smiles.

I get out of bed and place myself in his lap. Rafiki jumps up there with us and curls up on my legs. Artemi starts to run his fingers through my hair as I smile to myself. I rest my head on my shoulder as I pick up his other hand and play with his fingers. Finally I lace mine through his as I squeeze his hand.

"Did you hear anything about your tests" he asks.

"Not yet. And even if I did I don't know what it means" I giggle.

"I tried to ask your brother and he just laughed at me" he claims.

"My brothers are many things... but helpful ain't it" I laugh. "They've been through everything with me. They were so supportive, a best friend when I needed it and they gave me space when they knew I wanted it. As much as I hate them... they're incredible brothers. I wouldn't be here without them and that I know for sure. They gave me strength when I was weak. They made me laugh when I was crying. They gave up having their friends coming over to the house for sleepovers so I wouldn't get sick. When they were old enough to drive they helped my mom out and picked up my medicine and other stuff on the way home from school. Travis always brought me home a ice cream too because he knew it made me feel better. It was the little things like that made the biggest difference in my life. Even though to them it wasn't anything big, it meant the world to me. I mean what was asked for them... it was insane. Do you have any clue how hard it is to keep a house with two teenage boys abnormally clean? To get them to shower almost every day? My family meant the world to be and there's so many reasons I want to get better... but one of the biggest reasons its to let them all know that what they did for me wasn't all for nothing" I explain.

"They already know that" he claims. "I know they don't tell you, but your brothers are so proud of the person you've become. I overheard Travis bragging about you to a nurse next door" he claims.

"Was he trying to get her number" I ask and he laughs.

"Not the point" he defends.

"They might be a pain in my ass, but at least that pain is tolerable" I smile.

After a while my family joins Artemi and Rafiki in my room. They hook up the Xbox and start to play each other. And when Travis ultimately loses to Artemi he comes and sits next to me on the bed. We watch as Artemi and Corey play very loudly as I pray they don't get kicked out.

"I got you something" he claims.

"If it's another knuckle sandwich... I'm not hungry" I admit and he laughs.

"Not this time tiny tot" he insists. He pulls a ice cream cone out from the freezer in my room and I smile.

"When did you get this" I ask.

"While you were getting treatments. I figured there was never a bad time for ice cream" he insists.

"Well this is a great gift, thank you Travis" I smile.

"Anything for you" he smiles back.