22| New Year Revolation

Artemi

After Christmas comes and goes it was time for the new year. The Blackhawks host a New Years party that everyone was going to. It was as chance for the guys to hang out outside of the rink and bring their significant others. I didn't want to go because Valerie couldn't go but she insisted I went. New Years comes but once a year and she claims I would be upset if I ended up staying home with her. It's not that I don't like the guys on the the team, there isn't another place I would rather be playing, but if I had to choose between watching my friends get drunk or ringing in the new year with my girlfriend, well it's not really much of a choice.

But I do as she wishes and I go to the party. I dress nice and find a alcoholic drink and walk around. I knew all the guys but I was closest with Artem, Patrick, Jonny and Corey. Sometimes Duncs and Seabs if we are working with defense. But I didn't talk with them much outside of hockey. When we're on the road I hang out with them or maybe go to dinner but other than that not much else happens. I was still pretty new to all of this and I would much rather stick to what I know, and that's hockey and the fact that I love my girlfriend.

After a while it gets late and the countdown gets closer. I see there was about a half a hour left until the ball was to drop on our party. The ceiling was filled with balloons ready to fall at midnight. I continue to walk around until I notice everyone looking at something. I turn around and see a girl standing at the door. I do a double take and realize that it was my beautiful girlfriend in a long red dress looking like something straight out of a Disney movie.

I blink a few times to see if my mind was playing tricks on me, but it was really her

I blink a few times to see if my mind was playing tricks on me, but it was really her. I've never seen her like this before, I mean she's always pretty, but that dress was simply amazing on her and she looked so happy. Her smile practically lighting up the room.

She searches for me before her eyes rest on mine. I make my way over to her before I finally get to her. I look her up and down as she smiles up at me.

"You look... stunning" I gasp as I try to get my goosebumps to go away. But they never did when she was around.

"You're looking pretty great yourself" she smiles.

"What are you doing here" I ask.

"I came here to surprise my boyfriend" she claims.

"Have you lost your mind" I ask.

"Maybe so" she admits. "But there isn't a place I would rather start my year than with you" she insists.

"I can't believe you did this for me" I say looking her over again. I just couldn't believe my eyes. That she got this dressed up or that she was even here in the first place.

"There isn't a thing in this world I wouldn't do for you" she claims as she cups my cheek.

"I'm not so sure that's a good thing" I admit. "I dont want you to get sick" I insist.

"And I don't want you to be here just because I told you to and for you to be unhappy about it" she insists.

"Well since you're here now, would you like to meet everyone" I wonder.

"I would be honored to" she smiles.

I walk her around and introduce her to everyone. Most of them at lest knew of her, they either watched her YouTube videos or followed her on social media. And that helped because then I didn't feel stressed out that someone would touch her and get her sick. They already knew.

"I really want to dance" she insists as she grabs my hand.

"Have you ever danced before" I asked her.

"Not even close. But I've seen every romantic, Disney and romcom movie that has ever been made" she claims and I smile. I didn't doubt it. She loved her movies.

"In that case..." I say letting her hand go. I bow down in front of her and she starts to laugh. She curtsies and I grab her hand once again. "Valerie, it would be a honor if you shared this dance with me" I say and she smiles as big as ever.

"I would love to" she smiles.

I pull her to the nearest open space and turn to her. She places her hands on my shoulders and moves them up by my neck. I softly grab her waist and pull her closer to me. Eventually we were chest to chest as we start to sway side to side. Her movements were in time with mine as we stare into each others eyes.

"Can this be true?
Tell me, can this be real?
How can I put into words what I feel?
My life was complete
I thought I was whole
Why do I feel like I'm losing control?

I never thought that love could feel like this
And you've changed my world with just one kiss
How can it be that right here with me
There's an angel?
It's a miracle.

Your love is like a river
Peaceful and deep
Your soul is like a secret
That I never could keep
When I look into your eyes
I know that it's true
God must have spent
A little more time
On you."

"Thank you for coming out tonight" I say as I try to find the right words I wanted to say. But unless it's in a letter I can never seem to get it out when it comes to her.

"My New Years resolution is to get out more. Believe it or not, living my life in my apartment is not how I want spend my life" she smirks.

"I believe you" I assure her. "But still. I know your life is all about risks, and I'm happy you think I'm worth the risk" I explain.

"Every second I spend with you is worth it. I could drop dead right here and I could happily know that I took the right risks" she claims.

"Please don't drop dead" I beg and she giggles.

"Don't worry. I feel fine, great even" she claims.

"Good" I nod.

"In all of creation, all things great and small
You are the one that surpasses them all
More precious than any diamond or pearl
They broke the mold when you came in this world

And I'm trying hard to figure out
Just how I ever did without
The warmth of your smile
The heart of a child
That's deep inside
Leaves me purified

Your love is like a river
Peaceful and deep
Your soul is like a secret
That I never could keep
When I look into your eyes
I know that it's true
God must have spent
A little more time
On you."

The clock strikes midnight and I softly cup her cheek. She stands up on her tippie toes and presses her lips to mine. I hold her tight too afraid to ever let her go. The balloons fall down as I fall more in love with the only person I ever fell in love with.