46| For Her Hand

Artemi

"Isn't it a bit late to buying Valerie a birthday present" Andrew asks as we walk through a mall in Indiana.

For Valerie's birthday we were going to celebrate back at home with her family. Throw a little party at the farm and hang out a little before the season started.

"I actually wanted to pull you away for a little" I admit.

"Really" he asks.

"Yeah. I have I question for you" I explain.

"What can I help you with" he wonders.

"I was wondering... if I could have your blessing to marry your daughter" I say slowly and he stops walking.

"Are you asking permission to marry my daughter" he questions.

"Yes" I say before swallowing the lump that just got stuck in my throat.

He turns to me as he casts his shadow over me. He was quite a bit bigger than myself and really intimidating. I've never asked a man if I could marry his daughter before. And this was the only time I ever intended in doing such a thing, I just never thought I would be this terrified.

"Why do you want to marry my daughter" he asks.

"For the longest time I didn't want to get married. I thought marriage was stupid. My parents divorced when I was young and it caused me a lot of problems growing up so I claimed I didn't want anything to do with all that stuff. I figured that our love should be enough. We wouldn't need a ring or expensive wedding for me to prove that love. It was just a piece of paper and a huge loss of money.

But then I realized something. I realized that a marriage isn't about a wedding or a ring or anything like that. A marriage is about the union of two people. Two people who have been through hell and back. Two people who cannot live their lives without each other.

And I know for a fact Valerie is my better half. I actually cannot live without her. I love knowing that she loves me because that is a better feeling than playing at the United Center.

I want to marry your daughter because out of everything I've ever done... that would be what I'm most proud of" I explain.

His usual stone cold expression turns into a smile as he softened up.

"I always liked you" he claims and I laugh.

"I was hoping" I joke.

"There's not another person I would rather hand my daughter off to than you" he claims and I smile big.

"Really" I gasp.

"Yeah really. She's never said a single thing about you and I don't know if you've noticed this, but she's brutally honest. She doesn't sugar coat things, but she's not even close to complaining about you" he claims.

"We're pretty good together" I smile.

"Unlike anything I've ever seen" he agrees.

I have him help me walk around the outlet mall and pick out a engagement ring for Valerie. I wanted something that could stay with her promise ring but still look like a engagement ring. We find a great one and he helps me find the right size.

"So when are you planning on proposing" Andrew wonders as he drives us back to their farm with a birthday cake and decorations.

"Not for a while. Our one year anniversary is really soon then any time after that I can see it happening" I shrug.

"Well let me know when you think of something. I would love to be there for that" she claims.

"Of course" I assure him.

We get back to the farm and start to set up in the back. Valerie and her mom had spent the morning cooking food for today.

I find Valerie changing in her room as the finishing tocuhes get done down stairs. I walk over and cup her eyes making her jump.

"Geeze you scared the hell out of me" she giggles.

"I have a birthday surprise for you" I tell her.

"Is it another dog" she squeals and I laugh.

"No, but now I feel like I should have got you a dog" I admit.

"No! I'll love whatever you got me. I know it" she insists.

"Okay. Then sit down and cover your eyes" I insist.

She sits on her bed before her hands replace mine. I go out in the hallway before pulling in a big bag about the size of me. I set it in her doorway and turn to her.

"Okay... open them" I smile. She opens her eyes and gasps.

"Oh my god! You got me a giant bag" she cheers and I laugh.

"No silly. Your present is inside he bag" I explain.

"Then why did you make me cover my eyes" she questions.

"Can you stop being a smart ass for two seconds and open the gift" I ask and she smiles.

"Yes. Only because I love you" she claims.

She gets up and starts to take out the filler paper. When it starts to take forever I help her. Finally she gets to the bottom and gasped.

I had one of my Russian friends here find a giant piece of wood and wood burn a picture of Valerie Rafiki and I in Russia. He even put the mountains in the back and everything.

"Artemi" she whispers and I smile.

"It turned out great, didn't it" I ask.

"This is the most beautiful thing anyone has ever gotten me. This must have taken forever" claims.

"Nearly a whole month. I was scared I wouldn't have it in time but he lives out in Iowa so he had it sent here when it was done and your parents kept it for me" I explain.

"I don't know what to say" she whispers.

"I love you is pretty good" I insist.

"That doesn't do it justice" she claims.

"I would like a kiss too" I admit and she laughs. She walks over to me and pulls me into a deep kiss. "Much better" I whisper on her lips and she smiles.

"I love you more than I could ever explain" she insists.

"I know" I tease and she shakes her head making her blonde waves fall.

"So modest" she jokes.

"Only for you" I claim.

"Only for me."