41| By Land and Sea

Artemi

These past few weeks have kind of felt like one big dream. I mean one minute we're all in the hospital starting to think the doctors were giving us false hope to get more money. But then they said she was cured and it's all kind of been blurry since then. Valerie hasn't gotten sick once since being out and that whole part of her life was kind of forgotten about.

We were able to take her home for the first time and she came to visit Russia with me. We've gone hiking and walking around, I showed her how we live a new life here and she loved it all.

As for today, we would be going out to the beach. It's been a long time coming, for that's all Valerie had been asking about. She had always wanted to swim in the ocean and I was going to take her to the best beach with the best waters in Russia. It was pretty quiet because it was hard to get to so it wasn't as heavily populated, but it was beautiful nonetheless. Not many people knew about it but I used to run away here all the time when I was a kid. This place meant a lot to me and it means a lot to share it with her.

So we grab Rafiki and drive out to the beach. We grab our things and after going through some tricks and turns we find a clear spot to set up. We place a blanket on the ground and a umbrella next to it. I shed my shirt leaving me in my trunks. I put on sunscreen everywhere I could before turning to Valerie for some help.

"Hey Val" I say. "Can you..." I trail off. I feel like time stops as she smiles over to me.

I stare at her like I had never seen her before, maybe it's because I had never seen her like this before. She's never needed a swim suit and it's not the same thing as seeing her in her bra and underwear. Her swim suit was colorful and fun and not just white. She had a little bit more muscle on her now that she's gotten to get out of her house and into the world. She used to kind of look a little sick because she had never seen the sun and took so many different medications that had all these crazy side effects. She still eats well since she's been out of the hospital, I have troubles grabbing her from my grandma because they're always cooking or baking something in the kitchen. But it's good to know that the two most important girls in my life can't get enough of each other just as much as I can't get enough of them.

"What is it" she asks and I shake my head.

"Can you put this on my back" I ask her and she nods her head.

She puts sunscreen on my back and I put some on hers so neither of us get burned. Finally we were ready to swim.

I jump into the ocean without a second thought and Rafiki follows me in. I turn around and see Valerie standing where the water meets the sand. She stares at her toes as they sink into the sand before getting brushed with some water. She had this smile on her face for she was able to be as free as the ocean for the first time and she loved the feeling. I could tell.

"Are you coming in" I ask.

"Yeah. Just getting used to this, that's all" she claims.

"Do you like it" I ask.

"It feels great" she claims.

"Is it like you imagined" I question.

"Even better" she smiles.

She slowly walks out and to where I was standing. The water stops at my waist which is pretty much above her belly button.

"It's so cold" she claims.

"You'll get used to it" I promise.

I wrap my arms around her and she smirks up to me. I tap her nose with my wet hand and she giggles as she tries to dry it off.

"So are you having fun" I ask.

"Why are you so concerned about how I'm feeling today" she asks.

"Because you said it was your dream to swim in the ocean and I want to make sure you're happy. I want it to be everything you wanted and more" I admit.

"I'm extremely happy" she promises.

"Do you want to try to swim" I ask.

"I haven't swam since I was six" she claims.

"I can help you with that" I insist and she nods.

"I would like that" she smiles.

I take her further into the ocean until she couldn't touch. I carry her bridal style until just her head was above the water. I hold her as she floats there. She closes her eyes and smiles big as she lays there in my arms. Her long hair going everywhere around us as she moves her arms out to help her float.

"Are you good" I ask her.

"I'm great" she says softly.

"I'm going to let you go now" I tell her. I let her go and she continues to float atop the water. She stays there with the biggest smile on her face as she moves with the waves.

Eventually she starts to go under and I grab her again. I pick her up so she's sitting in my arms. She turns to me with the biggest smile on her face and I smile back.

"That was amazing. I felt invincible" she claims.

"That's how I always feel when I'm around you" I tell her and she starts to blush.

"Thanks for all these incredible memories. I couldn't imagine doing this with anyone else" she says.

"Thanks for being so open minded."