Chapter 40

CHRISTINE BROOKS

------------------------------

It's his birthday today?", I asked in shock. Mark sushed me and I covered my mouth.

"Yes and we're gonna celebrate it at Catherine's room at the hospital. But there will be an after party at eight in the evening.", Mark replied. Catherine again. I should have known. I don't hate her though. Infact, I love Catherine. There's just this stinging sensation in my chest whenever Michael mentions her.

"Oh. I see.", I said.

"Anyway, you should go to the after party. I'll accompany you.", Mark told me.

"Are you planning on something again?", I asked in a bored tone. Seriously, like I wouldn't know that he's planning on something. He keeps pestering me like some kid asking for a buck whenever he sees the ice cream truck.

"Nope.", he replied and he even popped the p sound. Oh Mark, how I wish I could cure your idiocy.

"Whatever. I want to go but you see, I have a part time job already.", I told him. His face looked like he saw a ghost or something.

"You have what?", he asked.

"Do I have to repeat what I said?", I asked. Honestly, I wasn't in the mood today.

"No. Anyway, since when? And where?", he asked.

"At Starbucks. I was just accepted and I'm a cashier there. It's just a part time job anyway.", I replied.

"So, you can't go?", Mark asked.

"Isn't it obvious?", I asked back. Mark was silent and later, he was smiling again.

"Alright!", he said. It shocked me and gave me a feeling of relief. Atleast, he won't be able to continue with his plan.

"Alright what?", I asked out of curiosity.

"Nothing. Let's go. Michael should be waiting for us at the pparking lot.", he replied. Did he just tell me that he has a secret plan? Give me a break. I already accept my fate that I don't have a chance with Michael. I've always thought about a happy ending with Michael and I but, nah. I think it's obviously hopeless. Even so, a part of me is saying that I shouldn't give up.

"Don't both of you have football practice today?", I asked.

"We're not up to it exactly.", Mark replied while we both started to pick up our bags and head to the parking lot where Michael was waiting for us.

"So you're not going to practice?", I asked.

"Nope.", he replied while popping the p again.

"What's with you and pooping the p?", I asked.

"And what's with you and all the questions?", he asked back.

"Ugh! Forget it. You're hopeless.", I replied. We both arrived at the parking lot but Michael wasn't there. We approached his car and it wasn't locked.

"Why isn't it locked?", I asked Mark. He opened the door to the back seat and hopped in.

"Wait, don't just hop in to someone's car just because it's open.", I told him.

"Geez. Are you some old lady telling me what to do. Besides, this is Michael's car.", he replied. He's got a point though but an old lady?!

"You've got some nerve calling me an old lady, free loader.", I told him. I saw his eye brow twitch and he looked at me.

"Free loader? Thank you. I'll take that as a compliment.", he replied.

"Whatever.", I said. Michael arrived holding a box.