Chapter 30

MICHAEL COLLINS

----------------------------------

Jacob told me about Catherine's condition. It's been almost a month since Catherine and Dylan didn't come to school. Mark and I are planning to visit Catherine after school. I canceled all my appointments for after school just to make time for Catherine.

"I want to come with you.", Christine begged.

"Fine but don't make a fuss. We'll be visiting a cancer patient.", I warned her.

"Is this person you're friend?", she asked. I looked up at the grey sky. It was almost winter and anytime it would already snow.

"Yeah. For me, she still is.", I replied. The school bell rang and school was over. Mark, Christine, and I met at the parking lot where we will be using Mark's car since mine is broken and it's currently being fixed.

"Ready to go?", Mark asked.

"Yeah.", Christine replied.

"Are you ready? You haven't seen each other for almost a month.", Mark asked.

"Yeah. I'm ready.", I replied as I tried my best to compose myself. We arrived at the hospital thirty minutes later and as we entered the hospital, my nervousness grew.

"Where is Catherine's room Michael?", Mark asked.

"Catherine?", Christine asked.

"Sixth floor, room 309.", I replied. The three of us rode the elevator to the sixth floor and as soon as we stepped out, we saw Dylan talking to the doctor. As the doctor left, Dylan saw us coming.

"Guys.", he spoke.

"Where's Catherine?", I asked.

"She just had her laboratory exams done and she's currently asleep. Jacob's inside by the way.", Dylan replied. He opened the door and he gestured us to come in. The room was silent when we came in. As we came closer, we saw a hairless person sleeping in the bed accompanied by Jacob.

"Catherine?", I whispered to myself. I became so teary eyed that I hadn't noticed that I was already crying. My goodness Catherine! What on esrth happened to you?! Catherine had slowly woke up and she saw all of us.

"Michael? Mark? What are you doing here?", Catherine asked. Dylan assisted Catherine as she was trying to sit up. I guess she must be weak after the laboratory exams she took awhile ago.

"Catherine.", I spoke as I went to her and hugged her like there was no tomorrow.

"Michael. I thought you were mad at me?", she asked. I shook my head and I buried my head in her neck as I held her head and her back.

"No. I wasn't mad at you. I never was.", I replied. I felt a hand was placed on my back and it moved upward and downward.

"Thanks.", Catherine said. I pulled away and I introduced Christine to Catherine.

"Catherine, I would like you to meet my friend, Christine. Christine, remember the girl I was talking to you about on the first day we met? This is her. My ex girlfriend and currently one of my close friends, Catherine.", I said. Christine approached Catherine.

"So you were the girl he can't forget. Nice to meet you.", Christine said.

"Nice to meet you too Christine.", Catherine replied. The two of them started to chat and they got along pretty well. Jacob, Mark, and I sat on the other bed while Dylan leaned against the window.

"So how's she doing?", I asked Dylan.

"She's on stage 3. It looks pretty bad. I let her take a medicine from our doctor in Germany and it still hasn't taken effect yet.", Dylan replied in a worried tone.

"Lately also, Catherine sometimes doesn't have the appetite to eat. She always sleeps.", Jacob added.

"What can we do to help?", I asked.

"Prayer. A miracle is what she really needs right now.", Dylan replied. All of us went silent. We could hear the laughter Christine and Catherine shared. Well, at least Catherine's laughing now. It was past nine already and we needed to go home. We still had classes anyway.

"Dylan, I'll leave Catherine to you.", Jacob said.

"Please take care of her for all of us.", I added.

"I will.", Dylan replied. Catherine smiled at us as she weakly raised her right hand on shoulder level and waved it back and forth.

"Bye guys! See you again next time.", Catherine said. We all waved at her and exited the room.

"She's scared. I can tell.", Christine suddenly spoke. Mark, Jacob, and I turned to face her.

"What are you trying to say?", Mark asked.

"She's scared to die.", Christine replied.

"Well yeah it's kind of obvious.", Jacob replied.

"You guys don't know how it feels like to have stage 3 cancer.", Christine said.

"You talk like you also have cancer.", I said. She went silent. Jacob, Mark, and I had come to a hypothesis after that silence.

"Don't tell me you have it too?", Mark nervously asked.

"I had it not too long ago.", she replied. All of us were in shock.

"It was during graduation from middle school when I collapsed after I had given my valedictorian speech. Three days later, it had been found out that I already had stage 3-4 cancer of the brain. No wonder I was a sickly and forgetful child. But in that very same room where Catherine is now, a miracle happened to me. After that...", she suddenly stopped.

"You survived cancer?", I asked and she nodded.

"I thought my life was going to end. I thought that I still had many things to do in life. I wanted a boyfriend, I wanted to work, I wanted to travel, I wanted to get married and have five children, I wanted to grow old with my husband. My world was shattered and my wishes and dreams were crushed. I saw myself in Catherine that is why awhile ago, I tried to cheer her up as much as I can and make her smile and laugh at the illness she's having and so she did.", Christine said. All of us were shocked and amazed at how Christine had recently survived cancer.

"I'm very thankful for everything. That is why, I'm making Catherine realize that not everything in life is fear and misery.", Christine added. She walked right past us and stopped walking.

"Let's go. It's already getting late.", she said as she smiled and started to walk again. This girl really is something. I think she is the only one who can give hope to Catherine to fight her illness. All we needed to do was pray and be by Catherine's side.

---------------------------------

I truly admire people who are strong and brave enough to fight life's greatest obstacles :) I salute you! *salutes*

How's the story so far guys? Let me know through the comments :)

-SophiaMission