Chapter 17: The First Fight

Today was the day. I was going to go to Volt's lair. I was going to stop her. Or... At least try.

It was only a few days ago since my friends and I explored that eerie house and soon regret it. Volt will pay for what she did to them.

I made my way up to the roof of building B. The warm afternoon breeze brushed against my face. The roof was made of bricks and had different platforms. Blue stairways led up to each platform.

Clementine was out with her aunt today for a fun shopping trip. So I wouldn't be missed while I'm gone.

I clutched the trinket around my neck. I breathed slowly. I pressed the button on my necklace and instantly a puff of smoke appeared. When it disappeared I was in my new suit. I set my purse down behind the blue stairs.

      I grabbed some of my bluish and brownish hair. Examining it again.

      "Fine.. Okay, I'm stalling. I can't help the fact that I'm nervous! I just have to do this. I have to go. You are Astrid. You are a totally awesome superhero who's about to go kick some butt! Get a grip!" I thought to myself.

      I took a deep breath and stepped to the edge of the roof. I walked off of it and began to fall. I then flew upwards and made my way to Volt's lair.

~

      I arrived at the creaky porch of the eerie house. Holding my breath, I climbed up the stairway and pushed open the broken doorway. It creaked loudly and I flinched.

I walked to the basement and slowly made my way down the stairs. There had to be something here. There had to.

      It was the same the way we had all left it. Cobwebs here and there. Dust everywhere. I sneezed.

      I walked into room by room. Searching for something, anything.

      I soon wandered into a room that I'd been in before. Boxes were everywhere. I began to rummage through them. Nothing. Then, I knocked over a box and saw something behind it.

I began to move other boxes and knock them over. There was a door behind them! I kept removing boxes until the door was completely visible.

With one foot, I kicked it open.

I slowly walked inside. It was dark. I couldn't see anything. I felt along the walls, hoping I'd find a lamp or a light switch.

My fingers brushed against a switch and I flipped it. Dim lights lit up and now I could see. I turned around and was mortified by what lied before me.

Gigantic robotic creatures sat lifelessly on the dirty concrete floor. Many clear tubes hooked up to each one, strands of electricity charging them.

I stepped forward slowly, my hand to my mouth in fear and in awe. How is this possible? What is Volt planning?

"Who are you?" A voice boomed.

I turned around and saw Volt standing in the doorway.

"A pathetic person pretending to be a super hero?" Volt asked, "how cute!" She laughed.

I stood my ground. "I'm here to stop you."

Volt approached me, "yeah? You and what army?" She taunted.

I threw out my fist and knocked her backwards. She crashed against a wall and fell. "What the-?"

"I am Astrid. What you are doing is wrong, and I'm going to stop you." I declared.

Volt stood up and wiped her freshly bloody nose. She growled. "Fine, have it your way." Beams of electricity sparked in her palms. She threw it at my face, but I flew upwards and dodged it. "You can fly?" She whispered.

I flew up to a robot. "What are these? What are you planning on doing with them?"

She chucked more electrical energy, I dodged it again. Volt began throwing multiple electric orbs at me. I dodged them back and forth.

One suddenly hit me in the face and I collapsed to the ground. My body shook violently. Electricity coursed through my veins.

Volt walked up to me, she cackled and threw more orbs at me. I rolled over and threw myself under a robot.

I crawled under each robot, providing myself with protection.

"Come out, come out, where ever you are." Volt hissed.

I crawled to the other side of the room and sneakily flew up. I watched as Volt searched underneath each robot.

I threw myself at Volt, knocking her over. I pinned her down, "what are you planning?" I growled.

"Global destruction. Starting with your puny town!" She cackled, grabbing my face and infusing electricity into me.

I flew backwards and yelped as I twitched back and forth.

"Go home, little hero." Volt huffed as she got off the ground. "Go home before you really make me angry."

"No!" I yelled as I kicked her. She tripped and fell over.

Her yellow eyes filled with rage. She got up and threw electricity at me. Over and over again. Paralyzing me. Shocking me.

I twitched and shook uncontrollably. I doubled over and coughed up blood. My skull erupted in pain.

"Had enough yet?" Volt taunted, as she stood over me and shocked me again and again.

With all the strength within me, I made myself get off the ground and kick the evil witch in the face. She flew backwards and smacked against the wall.

I flew out of there as fast as I could.

I failed.

I wasn't strong enough.

I couldn't stop her.

What now?