Chapter 10: Training

It was the day. Saturday had finally come and boy was I ready to start my training with Melanie.

    Clementine had invited me earlier this morning to attend an art show with her at the museum nearby. I declined, saying I had some studying to do. Which wasn't a total lie.

    Excitement ran through my veins as I grabbed the shiny bell, once again, from under by bed. I rung it.

    I closed my eyes as thick, green smoke appeared and swallowed me whole.

    When I reopened them I was in the very same room where I'd first met Melanie.

Melanie was sitting on a lace-covered couch and looked up. "Hello Camila! You ready for an exciting day?" She asked as she walked over and hugged me tight.

I smiled and hugged her back, "I'm super excited! Nervous as well.. But mostly excited!"

"Okie dokie!" She replied. "Alright, so let me explain to you how we're going to go about this. I'm going to take you to three different places in the world, and you are going to learn how to use your powers whenever you want. This is probably going to take all day, but this is all required if you want to defeat Volt." She finished.

"Okay." I agreed. "I'm ready when you are."

Melanie grinned, and with a snap of her fingers, green smoke appeared to take us to our destination.

The smoke disappeared, revealing large trees and plants everywhere.

"Where are we??" I asked.

"The Amazon Rain Forest!!" She exclaimed proudly. "We are going to start easy, communicating with animals."

"Alright." I paused, "what do I do?"

Melanie glanced around, "there!" She exclaimed, pointing to a small spider monkey.

    I inhaled a deep breath and looked where she'd pointed. "Okay, what now?"

    "Talk to it." She suggested.

    I walked over to the monkey cautiously. I waved, "uh, hello there." I felt so utterly stupid.

    It didn't say anything in response.

    I rolled my eyes, "this is never going to work!" I complained.

    "Why not?" Melanie asked.

    "Because this thing can't understand me!" I whined.

    "Excuse me!" An angry male voice said.

    I looked around.

    "Over here, young lady." The voice ordered.

    I looked back at the monkey who had his hands on his hips. "Uh.."

    "I am not a thing. I am a monkey for crying out loud!" He yelled. "I understood you the whole time, I just didn't care to reply."

    "Well that's quite rude." I retorted, crossing my arms, "I'm trying to get better at this whole animal communication thing."