Chapter 15

Senior Graduation, almost one year later

I adjusted my cap for the fifth time since arriving at school. Today's it, today's the day I graduate. I've already caught up to Daniel at Umass Amherst by taking two classes a day on line and taking a few classes on the weekend. Ashton and I were at the top of the class, my brother/best friend was named Valedictorian because his GPA was just higher than mine by .01. But I didn't mind, Ashton deserved it.

"Charlie, calm down. You are going to get your diploma and then you and Weston will graduate together in two years." Ashton said, slipping an arm around my shoulder. I smiled and leaned into Ashton, fixing his lopsided cap.

"And you are going to deliver an amazing speech and graduate and marry my best friend in the whole wide world." I said happily.

"I thought I was your best friend?" He said.

"You are, but you're also my big brother." I said.

"Only by two months." He mumbled. The teachers were telling us to get into our lines so we could walk to our seats. The music started to play and we walked two by two to our seats. Ashton, Mary and I sat on the right side and in the first three seats. Ashton is the valedictorian and Mary and I are right behind him with a 102.3 (me) and a 102.0 (Mary) GPA. As the principle got on stage and started the ceremony, my eyes scanned the crowd for our people. Annalise, Daniel, The Weston’s, The Gibbs and my grandparents were here today for the three of us.

Ashton stood and climbed the stairs to the stage to deliver his speech.

"Well, Class of 2014, we did it." Ashton said into the microphone. "We survived twelve years of public school seeing the same faces day in and day out for 2160 days. And for those of you who have forgotten already, that 180, the amount of days in the school year, times twelve, the number of years we've been in school." The crowd chuckled at his joke.

"We get to go out into the world now, you guys. We can reinvent ourselves, get smarter, go to college, or not, go into the armed forces, or not. It's your choice now. It's your choice to change. Speaking of change, we have changed. Every year, we all change a little. We are no longer those five year olds that sit in a circle during snack time into people who have jobs, and significant others, and cars. We have changed. One person in particular is my sister, Charlotte Moore.” Ashton said, turning his head to look at me. "Ever since I've known her, there was always something she was hiding, from everyone. Last year, the whole town found out the horrible things that her father did to her. But she was changing before him, thanks to a former student, Daniel Weston."

"Charlotte, would you please come up here?" Ashton asked. I stood and limped up the stage. I know it's been a year since the accident, but my leg was so bent out of shape, I'm still in physical therapy for it. "Charlotte is going to read the rest of my speech for me." I took a shaky breath and stared at the paper.

"We shined this year, my fellow classmates. We took the incentive and wen above and beyond..." I delivered the rest of the speech and at the end, everyone applauded. I returned to my seat and held Ashton and Mary's hands as the ceremony continued. We got our diplomas and at the very end of the ceremony, we moved our tassels over. I smiled. No more high school. No more Peyton. No more Father. We all stood and marched back down the aisle, two by two, like Noah's Ark. Ashton, Mary and I stood near our old lockers as our parade of watchers weaved in and out of the crowd to get to us. Anna hugged Ashton and me first, and then moved on to Mary who was talking to her parents. Ashton gravitated that was as my grandparents hugged me tight and told me how proud they were. When they let me go, I was lifted off the ground by my boyfriend and kissed quickly.

"I am so proud of you, Beautiful!' He exclaimed, putting me back on the ground.

"Quit hogging Charlie." Clara said, shoving her brother out of the way. Clara hugged me tight before giving me a yellow rose. "Here you go, babes. I love you."