Chapter 4

I woke to the sound of birds chirping loudly. It was too damn early for this. I reached to the left for my glasses and freaked out when I hit the mattress. I wasn't in my bed. Why wasn't I in my bed? I should be at Annalise's house, lying on my stomach and reach to my left for my glasses on the bed side table. Think Charlotte, think. Were you abducted? No. Did you go to Annalise's house? Hell no. Where was I? This bed was too big to be the one in Father's house and too big to be the guest bed at Mary's house.

Daniel.

I'm at Daniel's house. He made me stay here last night. Wait, where did he sleep? I felt around for my glasses and grabbed them and pushed them on my face. He wasn't in bed with me, which is a good thing. I groaned as our conversation flooded my mind, why did he have to be so hot, so nice, so freaking Daniel Weston. I couldn't believe he thought I didn't remember anything. Those were the happiest years of my life after my mom died. And it hurt when I had to let him go.

Father said he would hurt Daniel because he was getting too close to me, and thankfully he only made me let Daniel go. I don't know what I'd do without Ashton and Mary. I could barely function without Daniel for a while. I sighed and climbed out of bed and shuffled down the hall and the stairs to the first floor. Honestly, I thought my house was a dump, but after one party at the Weston house, I didn't mind my house one bit. There were red and blue Solo cups everywhere and empty bottles and food spewed everywhere. I managed to maneuver around it all and go to the kitchen. It's been six years since I've been in this house, yet I still know where everything is.

Clara was in the kitchen, cleaning up the mess as the coffee brewed. She looked up and smiled at me as she shoved seven Solo cups in the Glad trash bag. She walked around the counter and hugged me tightly, since we haven't seen each other in years.

"Well, I'll be damned. I thought Danny was lying when he said you were sleeping in his room." She whispered, pulling back. Her well trained eyes focused in on my bruised cheek bone. "He's doing it again, isn't he?" I nodded and bowed my head.

"He knows." I mumbled, hoisting myself onto the counter top. "Danny knows, and it scares me."

"Did you tell him about—?"

"Yes! I told him everything, and he still wants to be around me, and protect me." I said, nearly shouting. "He kissed me." I blurted out. Clara's eyes practically popped out of her head.

"What! He kissed those virgin lips of yours!" She exclaimed. "When, give me the details." I rolled my eyes at her with a smile.

"First time was on Wednesday because I was yelling at him and he wanted to shut me up. The second time was yesterday when he was reviving me and in his room." I said softly. "And I told him we couldn't kiss or anything."

Clara sighed. "But you like him." She stated. I nodded with a sigh. I do like him, too much for my own good, might I add.

"Where is he?" I asked, curious about his whereabouts. She smirked and went back to cleaning.

"Well, seeing as he was severely pissed off this morning, he's on a seven or eight mile run. He'll be back shortly." She promised as the coffee machine dinged. I went over to the machine and pulled out two mugs in the cabinet overhead and poured the black liquid into them.

"He's mad because of me." I mumbled. "I was being a bitch yesterday and he didn't deserve it." I handed Clara her cup as I sipped mine.

"Oh, sweetheart, it's okay. Danny has had a rough time since you let him go. I tried to explain that to him, but he's Danny and he doesn't listen." Clara reasoned. The front door opened and closed loudly, signaling that Daniel came home. I closed my eyes and sipped my black coffee again. I didn't want to see him yet, especially if he was mad. I opened my eyes as Daniel strolled into the kitchen with only sweatpants on. He was sweaty and his abs were glistening with sweat. He looked pissed. I leaned against the counter opposite the coffee machine and he passed me to grab himself a cup, and our eyes met. His beautiful eyes were filled with sadness as Daniel looked me over. After a few seconds, I averted my eyes from his and heard him sigh.