Chapter 10

IIt's been a week since the senior meet and Prom is just around the corner. Annalise and Mary were so excited for it, and so was I, but on a more appropriate scales than those two. It's Wednesday afternoon and we're going dress shopping for my dress. It's nerve wracking to find the dress that screams WOW. I want Daniel's eyes to pop out of his head when he sees me. I want him to want me so badly when he sees me emerge from Mary's room on Friday night. Mary is obsessing over one thing on Prom night: the infamous it. Mary is convinced Daniel will be my first, and she is sure as heck that she and Ashton will do it too. I don't understand her train of thought. I don't understand the thought process of every raging, hormonal girl and boy that will be there, wanting to do the down and dirty. Why can't they just enjoy a beautiful night with their dates respectfully? In all honesty, I don't care what Daniel and I do, just as long as I am there with him.

"Charlie, are you even listening to me?" Mary called. I snapped out of my mental... whatever you call it.... and turned my attention to Mary and Annalise. Mary held up two dresses, both long and flow-y; one was canary yellow and the other was midnight blue. Annalise held up two pairs of shoes; one pair of silvery heels and the other were tan sandals.

"Hmm… sorry, what did you say?" I asked, giving them my undivided attention.

"Which outfit; the yellow with the sandals or the blue with the heels?" Mary said, annoyed.

"The yellow with the sandals," I said immediately. I had tried that one on first and instantly fell in love with it.

"Good choice." She said. Mary had already found and bought her dress a month ago and we were about to buy mine two days before prom. Two days. Two. Days. Until. PROM. I am freaking out. "Charlie, breathe." Mary commanded, and I did.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

"Aww, my little girl is nervous!" Annalise cooed, dropping the shoes and rushed over to me. Mom cupped my cheeks in her delicate hands and reassured me that Daniel would make everything perfect, and that Prom would be the best night of my life. I already knew that, but it felt good to hear it from Annalise.

"So," Mary said as we left with the dress and shoes. "You and I are going to leave early from school on Friday to get our hair and makeup done at my hair salon, my treat Charlie."

"No, no, the salon trip is my treat. Come to me before you two leave on Friday." Annalise said.

"Anna,” Mary started to protest.

"No, Mary. You are practically my daughter and Charlie is my only girl. You two are going to get pampered on my dollar." Annalise said, daring Mary and I to challenge her. We smiled from ear to ear and thanked Annalise.

"Charlie, we should have a movie night on Saturday. Just you and me, Prom recuperation day," Mary said as she linked her arm with mine. I nodded and rested my head on her shoulder.

"Sounds like a plan, Mare-Mare." I said softly. I chewed on my lip as we passed by a group of girls from school. They're Peyton's friends. Mary noticed and puffed up her chest like a male bird of Paradise and shot them all a glare. I giggled as the group of girls scurried by.

"Slutty bitches." She muttered under her breath and I elbowed Mary. She needed to curb her naughty tongue. "What? That's what they are!"

"Oh god, let’s go home, guys." Annalise piped in.

We got home and I could smell something burning in the kitchen. Mary and I threw each other a look and we rolled our eyes. Daniel and Ashton were trying to cook. Annalise didn't even bother getting out of the car, she said she'd come in with my stuff if we go assess the damages done. And we did, and it was bad.