Chapter 7

My chest tightened at the word baby. Why did he have to say that? "Please don't say that." I mumbled, scooting off of his lap.

"Say what?" Daniel asked.

"Baby," I spat with hatred lacing my voice. I hated my father for doing this to me, for finding a way to make me stay. I'd have nowhere to go or support myself if I had a baby with one of his druggie friends. I'd be someone else’s property.

"Charlie, what are you talking about?" Daniel asked, wrapping his arms around my waist. I sat there numbly because I knew I'd have to tell him.

"My Father threatened to drain my bank account and have one of his suppliers knocks me up to make me stay." I said as my voice barely audible. But Daniel heard me loud and clear. Daniel held me against him as his body shook with anger. I never knew he could hold that much hatred for one person. I wrapped my arms around Daniel's neck and held him, in an attempt to keep him calm. I didn't need him causing a scene in his own home.

"I'm going to kill him." He growled. I shook my head quickly. I wouldn't let Daniel stoop to Father's level. "Why not, he's hurting you, Charlie! You let him hurt you again and again, and it kills me. No one deserves to be treated like that, especially you! This beautiful face doesn't deserve any of the bruises it has on it." I pressed my forehead against Daniel's neck with a sigh. I really wish he didn't say things like this. I mean, it's not like I don't mind the way it makes my heart rate increase when he says things like that, or the way he makes me feel like I'm the only girl in the world when he says those words. He could get in more trouble than I think my father can bring. I don't want him getting hurt.

"Can we stop talking about my Father and all the bad stuff?" I asked. Daniel nodded as he ran his fingers through my hair. I kicked my shoes off and curled into Daniel's side, and ran my hand up and down his chest and abs. "How's Track?" I asked. Daniel smiled at me like a boyfriend would at his girlfriend. But we weren't dating; I wouldn't allow him to ask me out.

"Really good, the team is doing great this year; we're qualifying in almost every event." Daniel told me. "I know it's a little early, but I was wondering if you'd come to our last home meet next month. You know, go with me as my date, Charlie." I looked at Daniel dumbfound. He was asking me out on a date.

"Daniel, I-I don't know—" I stuttered, my words failing me at this moment.

"Please, Charlotte. You know you mean the world to me and I know you don't want to admit it, but I mean a lot to you too. Come to the meet, please." Daniel begged as he cupped my face in his warm hands. I sighed as I looked into those gorgeous brown eyes.

"Okay." I murmured. Daniel smiled wide and pulled me close, then kissed my lips softly. I melted against his lips and kissed him back, crawling into his lap. His kiss quickly turned from soft to hard, and I found it hard to keep my hands off of him. Daniel cupped my butt and drew me closer to him, making use of the wonderful time we had alone.

"Ah, my old virgin eyes," Alexander exclaimed and the two of us pulled apart. Daniel's face was bright red with embarrassment and I laughed so hard my stomach hurt. "Come on you two lovers, dinner is ready." I hopped off Daniel's lap and made my way into the dining room. Daniel joined me quickly; his face was starting to turn back to its original color. The five of us sat down at the large, round table and took hands. I was positioned between Clara and Daniel while Bridget and Alexander sat on the other side of their children. We said a short prayer and started serving food. Bridget is an amazing cook, to put it plainly. Alexander asked his daughter about her day at work and school, and Clara immediately jumped into her day. Daniel took my right hand under the table as we ate, and it made me smile. I liked how he held my hand, and touched me now. I'm not so reserved anymore. Don't underestimate anything that can happen in seven days.