Chapter 9

Father wasn't home when DSS came to the house. The two agents who went through my house ordered me to pack up my things and move in with Annalise and Ashton permanently. They found all his drugs and alcohol and deemed him unfit to take care of me. The men said they'd have the police put a BOLO out on my father. Annalise was my legal guardian, apparently, from that day forth.

Daniel, Ashton and Annalise were with me as I packed up my entire room. I honestly felt like there was a weight lifted off of my shoulders as I packed up the last box of my things. I'd never have to come back here ever again or see his stupid face or have any more beatings. I was free.

We put everything in the back of my Volkswagen and drove down to the pizzeria in the downtown area for some dinner. Ashton forced Daniel into the booth with him as Annalise and I slid into the booth across from them. We ordered a large pepperoni pizza for the table and started chatting away.

"So, Daniel, you have a little less than a month in high school, right?" Annalise asked, giving him a cheeky smile. Daniel nodded and reached across the table to take my hand.

"No, actually, senior sign out is at the end of May. Just two more months, Mrs. Robertson," Daniel replied.

"Anna, Daniel. You're practically family now that you and my Charlie have... well, whatever you guys have together." Annalise replied. Daniel nodded and smiled at her.

"Yes, Anna." Daniel mocked. "While you are all here, I would like to ask Charlie a very important question."

"Danny?" I questioned with a smile. "You already asked me to your senior meet. What else is there?"

"Prom," Daniel said simple. "Charlotte Moore, will you go to Prom with me, as my girlfriend?" Beside me I heard Annalise squeal in delight while Ashton gave Daniel his best Dad glare he could muster. I stared at Daniel, unable to find the words to answer him. So I nodded my head yes. Daniel grinned from ear to ear as he leaned across the table and kissed my lips lightly.

"Danny!" I scolded lightly. "Not in front of my mom!" Daniel chuckled and shook his head softly.

"Oh goodness, Charlotte, you are old fashioned." He commented.

"Good." Ashton grumbled as he took a swig of his soda. "I don't want any hanky-panky going on during Prom night." I turned towards Ashton with one eyebrow raised to my hairline.

"So all that stuff Mary told me she had planned for Prom night was—"

"Charlotte!" Ashton hissed with a glare. "Not in front of Mom!" I laughed at Ashton and shook my head.

"No can do, Ash. I'm evil." I replied.

A month passed and it changed from the end of March to the beginning of May. To be honest, I was getting nervous. I had a few weeks left with Daniel until Senior Sign-Out, and then three months until he left for Amherst. He knew something was up by the way I acted whenever college was brought up. I would get through this. It'd only be one year until I would graduate and be with Daniel.

It's his senior meet today, and honestly, I'm a little nervous. Not because I thought his team was going to lose, because I knew they weren't, but because of the people on the team. These people hated me with a burning passion because of the years Daniel hated me. I didn't want them to reject him because Daniel was dating me. Their feelings would be biased. I didn't want that. I needed to find a way to get them to like me. Annalise always told me that food was the quickest way to a man's heart. Maybe I could win over the whole team with some baked goods.

Daniel found me at noon, in my kitchen, tugging at my hair. What was I going to do!? His meet was in two hours and I've hit a flipping roadblock. Daniel's team members will hate me, and then Daniel will hate them, and then they'll hate Daniel. It's like a domino effect I tell you.